Bicycle Bells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
I have a bell on my Subway, cycling down the towpaths to and from work there are some bridges and tunnels with blind bends on the exit so I ring my bell, saved me and few other cyclist an early bath in the cut also I use it to let dog walkers I know Im approaching from behind.

Venod

Eh up
out with two of my charges today and some snotty woman used sarcasum ,by saying ding ding repetedly as the lads road past,they are age 7 and 8 both with mobility issuse,s and lerning difficultys. if it was a fair world id be allowed to slap her.

Completely agree with that, I don't use a bell a polite excuse me and thank you has always worked for me, I came up behind a large group of walkers and shouted excuse me and thanked them as they let me past the were all polite except one woman who repeated ding ding as I past her, WTF.

Licramite

Über Member
being uncool anyway I don't have to worry about such things, I have degressed to one of those dingers as opposed to a proper ring ring bell. my mountain bike sports a compass on top which has come in usefull when lost in the woods.

I rarely use it , but like my seat belt and airbag in the car or horn or fog lights , I rarely use those too (or the jack and spare tyre) but I would sure miss them if they weren't there when I did need them.

my main quarry is horses, - they got nuts if you just swish by them from behind, and an upset horse is liable to jump on you or dump the rider on you , so I don't pass until the rider is well aware, so several dings as I approach ussually works, I would shout but going uphill I would be lucky to get a desperate croak out !

Maybe its me (hearing has been impared by a history of load bangs) but I cannot hear bikes coming up from behind me, they scare the s-t out of me when they just appear on your elbow. If I ever overtake anyone I have vowed to give them a ding first - but it is yet to happen.

You must be really old:sad:.

:biggrin:

Going up Hartside from Alston on Saturday, being passed by all those other old B****rs on 5000 cc what do you call them's (and one or two decent youngsters on proper bikes, who I loved seeing pass me and all the c2c's coming down I felt bloody old). but I certainly wasn't cool I was sweating like the proverbial. Now I have to get that hedge cut so I can get a ride tonight. :bicycle:

on the road

Über Member
its an odd world, people are horrified at the idea of a bell on their bike, yet you suggest they don't have brakes or pedals and they think your nuts.
its a tool, just like the other bits, it has a function, just like the other bits.

you could say , well lights are really uncool, so don't have any at night, - but then lights are for their protection, a bell is to warn other people, could that be it
A bell won't make any difference on the road with all the traffic noise, no one will hear it, whereas lights make you visible at night.

Licramite

Über Member
seams to work in holland, lots of bells out there, and just as many cars.
true about the lights - if they are on,passed a cyclist the other evening, about 10pm, he had lights just not on ! doh. he was obviousl waiting for it to get really dark.

Top Bottom