Bicycle Bells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I find that a polite "Excuse me" often ilicits a "Haven't you got a friggin bell"? type of response.

You can't win, especially with dopes, with dogs on long extendable leads, on n.a.r.r.o.w towpaths. Come the day, they and the Canadian geese will be the first to suffer. :cursing:

MisterStan

Label Required
I've got a horn :laugh:

Calling @Fnaar

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I have a bell and it works fine for me. Except for approaching horseriders (on horses!) from behind when I just say 'bike behind you' in a hopefully polite way.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't need a bell, I can shout louder if need be. Usually, just a " look out" or " excuse me" does it. I always also say thank you aferwards.

RhythMick

Über Member
I have a voice which carries well, and I use it to politely tell people "passing on your left/right" with enough time for them to process it.

I usually follow it with a polite "morning" to make sure they haven't taken offense.

I have a bell on most of the bicycles I use.

They are usually the oldie-worldie sort, with internal rotors worked by an external lever.

I find that they offer just enough audible warning without being rude or shouty.

I often use my voice too, but there is something comforting and reassuring about a bell.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I find that a polite "Excuse me" often ilicits a "Haven't you got a friggin bell"? type of response.

I've had that sort of thing.
Even on a shared path where I was quite happy to cycle at walking speed until the path was wide enough to pass safely. The pedestrians ahead suddenly noticed I was behind, at about 3 bike lengths back, and one shouted "Use your bleeding bell! :cursing: "
:rolleyes:

A cyclist thing that happens occasionally and bugs me a little on group 'pootle' rides.
Recently Arch and I were on a cycle route, just about wide enough for two abreast cycling, with some friends and I was riding sometimes adjacent to Arch talking to her or just behind her chatting away. One of the cyclist would 'sneak' up and ride just level with my rear wheel, out of my sight unless I look over my shoulder, not passing, not leaving me any wobble room, not talking, just slowly squeezing me towards the edge of the path.
Why? Either ride behind, ride level, or pass, or at least say something so I know you are there rather then sneaking up and making me jump and then riding into my space.:angry:

Skipper

Cows have bells ..... not bikes! (I mean the bikes don't have bells, not the cows don't have bikes, although both statements are true. But maybe cows do have bikes, but just don't ride them?) I'm diversifying here ..... bells are 'uncool', except if you're a cow (here we go again!_)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
fc,220x200,white.u1.jpg

Top Bottom