Bicycle Bells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I like to carry a bell with me when I am a pedestrian for when people are dawdling in front of me.

Christopher

Über Member
I usually go past people without saying anything, if I can pass wide and safely. Not an option on a narrow path or with wobbly-looking cyclists. Have a bell but broke it, just goes clonk-clonk. Use voice usually. Approaching blind bends on paths or crossing farmyards I whistle loud and flat - more of an i-am-here device than get out of my way. Also whistling flushes out dogs in yards so less liklihood of being bitten by one sneaking up behind me. Well, I am on their territory...

oh and loud freewheels (Campag and Reynolds in my case, had a Sun Ringle that was really loud) work a treat for warning, as does snivelling - the noise from a well-timed sniff carries a long way...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I find it amusing when people use their bell on cars. You think the driver can hear that thing? HAHA

Yeah, no bells for me thanks, and that goes for the helmets as well.

DRHysted

Guru
I have yet to fit the bell, but reading this made me take it out the bag flick the striker and got a 'thud'. As a result I think this bike will be bell free as well.
I do tend to call out to people, horse riders, other cyclists, something along the line of "cyclist passing on your right hand side", most horse riders will call a thanks, the rest tend to ignore you.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have yet to fit the bell, but reading this made me take it out the bag flick the striker and got a 'thud'. As a result I think this bike will be bell free as well.
I do tend to call out to people, horse riders, other cyclists, something along the line of "cyclist passing on your right hand side", most horse riders will call a thanks, the rest tend to ignore you.
Where you holding the bell?
Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You don't need a bell, you've got gripshifts. They're likely way noisier!
Believe me, they aren't compared to that bell.:giggle:

Licramite

Über Member
its an odd world, people are horrified at the idea of a bell on their bike, yet you suggest they don't have brakes or pedals and they think your nuts.
its a tool, just like the other bits, it has a function, just like the other bits.

you could say , well lights are really uncool, so don't have any at night, - but then lights are for their protection, a bell is to warn other people, could that be it

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
its an odd world, people are horrified at the idea of a bell on their bike, yet you suggest they don't have brakes or pedals and they think your nuts.
its a tool, just like the other bits, it has a function, just like the other bits.

you could say , well lights are really uncool, so don't have any at night, - but then lights are for their protection, a bell is to warn other people, could that be it

Lights are needed.
Bells are not.

Oh yes... and they look so friggin uncool.

Top Bottom