Bicycle Bells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Misusawa

Why is it, that when i'm out cycling on the cycle ways up here in the north east, Whenever a cyclist is sneaking up behind me and wishes to overtake, they never ring their bell, often they sidle up and shout excuse me, or could we pass please. Almost always quite polite, it just seems strange since we all leagally need to have a bell.

Also a couple of times pedestrians or dog walkers have thanked me for ringing my bell in advance of reaching them, whether they were in the way or not, so that they could control their dog almost in a manner that suggests to me that this is a very rare occurance.

green1

Über Member
it just seems strange since we all leagally need to have a bell.
We don't, bikes have to be sold with a bell, as soon as it leaves the shop that legal compulsion ends.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Many of the more serious cyclists consider a bell on a bike deeply uncool. I don't care so have this on my bike ;):

DSC01508.JPG

I also tend to get thanked for ringing the bell at people.:thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Why is it, that when i'm out cycling on the cycle ways up here in the north east, Whenever a cyclist is sneaking up behind me and wishes to overtake, they never ring their bell, often they sidle up and shout excuse me, or could we pass please. Almost always quite polite, it just seems strange since we all leagally need to have a bell.

Also a couple of times pedestrians or dog walkers have thanked me for ringing my bell in advance of reaching them, whether they were in the way or not, so that they could control their dog almost in a manner that suggests to me that this is a very rare occurance.

Nope.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Neither of my bikes came with a bell, OH's bikes came from the shop sans bell too, he says.
I tend to call out 'excuse me' or 'good afternoon/morning' rather than ringing a bell. It just seems more polite to me.

madferret

Über Member
I found with a bell most people jump out of their skin, which along canals or when they have dogs is worse than just slowing down and saying excuse me or similar. Often I stop for a chat if they have a nice dog anyway, which is obviously why my average speeds are so low. :secret:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I also tend to get thanked for ringing the bell at people.:thumbsup:

Me too. Unfortunately mine is one of the wee metal things which pings when hit by the striker. When it gets wet (I can't avoid cycling in the rain ALL the time!) it is pretty much ineffective and gives off a pathetic thud instead of a ping.
I would guess that bells are not much use to the purist roadies who don't venture onto shared paths; but as a user of said paths (as well as roads) I find it an essential piece of kit.

I found with a bell most people jump out of their skin, which along canals or when they have dogs is worse than just slowing down and saying excuse me or similar.
Maybe you are getting too close to them before ringing the bell then? Do it from a decent distance back and it gives them time to round up their dogs/children, or alternatively to remain 3 abreast blocking the path until you plead with them to let you through!

Mile195

Veteran
My bell came off after about two days in favour of more lights. "Excuse me" seems to work well enough where I'm stuck behind someone, but I'm rarely in segregated cycle lanes where that would happen anyway.

Top Bottom