Bicycle Bells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
its an odd world, people are horrified at the idea of a bell on their bike, yet you suggest they don't have brakes or pedals and they think your nuts.
its a tool, just like the other bits, it has a function, just like the other bits.

you could say , well lights are really uncool, so don't have any at night, - but then lights are for their protection, a bell is to warn other people, could that be it

It's a tool that is superseded by something much more expressive, my voice.
Due to years of dog training I can get all sorts of different emotion through my voice, from polite requests to the utter disgusting barage of swear words I used to educated a driver on the fact I can't disappear just because he pressed his horn. Ah yes the car horn, they've been fitted to every vehicle I've ever owned, but used so often that a failure was only noticed just before the MoT.

With myself it's not that it's uncool, it's more the fact that I need the space and i'll never use it.

lukasran

people cant get out of the way fast enough at the sound of a bell apart from some old folk whos hearing range may not pick it up. but they tend to be quite soft bodied so.... even in a xc race few people made way. Im keeping mine.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
its an odd world, people are horrified at the idea of a bell on their bike, yet you suggest they don't have brakes or pedals and they think your nuts.
its a tool, just like the other bits, it has a function, just like the other bits.

you could say , well lights are really uncool, so don't have any at night, - but then lights are for their protection, a bell is to warn other people, could that be it
Have you tried riding a bike without pedals? Without brakes?
Without a bell? - easy.
I have them on my bikes. Very seldom use them, and if I do the pedestrians either don't hear, or jump - the wrong way. Interesting that British Waterways have abandoned their 'Two Tings' policy.

stuhyde

Regular
Put a Hope hub on the rear and freewheel as you approach. Less frightening than a bell, and sounds "Bike-Like"
Hope hubs make a distinct loud noise when free-wheeling

Licramite

Über Member
the question isn't the need for a noise making device , it seams to be - whats cool.
I'm sure if a cool design for a bell came up people would fall for it.

so what is cool and uncool on bike,
bells are clearly uncool, how about mudguards? , bottle holders, reflectors? handle bar baskets? tribars?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Most uncool, in no particular order - gel saddles, those spoke reflectors that come on new bikes, dork discs, prop stands, front reflectors, mountain bike flat pedals on road bikes, triangular frame bags on road bikes ....... ^_^

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
out with two of my charges today and some snotty woman used sarcasum ,by saying ding ding repetedly as the lads road past,they are age 7 and 8 both with mobility issuse,s and lerning difficultys. if it was a fair world id be allowed to slap her.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I usually go past people without saying anything, if I can pass wide and safely. Not an option on a narrow path or with wobbly-looking cyclists. Have a bell but broke it, just goes clonk-clonk. Use voice usually. Approaching blind bends on paths or crossing farmyards I whistle loud and flat - more of an i-am-here device than get out of my way. Also whistling flushes out dogs in yards so less liklihood of being bitten by one sneaking up behind me. Well, I am on their territory...

oh and loud freewheels (Campag and Reynolds in my case, had a Sun Ringle that was really loud) work a treat for warning, as does snivelling - the noise from a well-timed sniff carries a long way...

When I'm pedestrianing I like a bit of warning that a bike is approaching. Even if there is room to pass it still makes me jump when a bike whizzes past. Also I like to know so that I can make sure my dog isn't going to do anything silly.

avalon

Guru
the question isn't the need for a noise making device , it seams to be - whats cool.
I'm sure if a cool design for a bell came up people would fall for it.

so what is cool and uncool on bike,
bells are clearly uncool, how about mudguards? , bottle holders, reflectors? handle bar baskets? tribars?
All that stuff is uncool. A bike that is stripped down to the bare essentials is a thing of beauty (which makes all my bikes, with the exception of my unicycle, uncool).

out with two of my charges today and some snotty woman used sarcasum ,by saying ding ding repetedly as the lads road past,they are age 7 and 8 both with mobility issuse,s and lerning difficultys. if it was a fair world id be allowed to slap her.

You should have "accidentally" swerved into her and as you apologized, pointed out that her unusual bell sounds distracted you. But of course we never think of reply's of any sort at the time.

Don't understand this "cool" "uncool" stuff. I ride a bike (or walk or drive) with kit that is practical and suitable to my needs and b****r what any snobby snots think. A bell is useful, a horn more so but too heavy and cumbersome. So I have a bell.

Top Bottom