Bicycle lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Poundland's finest :smile:
Ummm ... how much do you want to spend on the new one? Batteries or USB charge preferred? Dynamo seems overkill, and anything super powerful,as a be seen light

si_c

Guru
Part of me wants to suggest waiting for Aldi to have their next sale on cycling gear. I got some truly excellent lights last year which I tend to run as backups to my dynamo lighting. Cost me around £13 if I remember correctly. Failing that anything by Moon or Lezyne.

Riding to the gym and back, it's about 3 miles each way mainly on main roads in Birmingham.
In that case something like this for the front:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cateye-omni-5-front-light/rp-prod141030

(maybe available cheaper if you hunt for the front and rear set).

If you don't like possibly having to change batteries mid ride (though you should be able to avoid on a 3 mile ride) buy 2.

For the rear:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld610-led-rear-light/

Possibly better price if you shop around.

Prices seem to have gone up with the dash to USB.

(I stocked up a while ago for about £15 each I think as the industry is determined to kill such sensible things off)

and you could supplement it with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterpro...-Light-Lamp-/152194343571?hash=item236f7d6293

(haven't used that supplier but I use that light). It fits in a cateye mount.

then buy a quality AAA/AA battery charger (about £20) and a supply of quality low self discharge batteries.

Ask if you have any more questions.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Part of me wants to suggest waiting for Aldi to have their next sale on cycling gear. I got some truly excellent lights last year which I tend to run as backups to my dynamo lighting. Cost me around £13 if I remember correctly. Failing that anything by Moon or Lezyne.
Lidl are selling a set of Crivit lights for about that at the moment. I think I'll give them a go and return them if they go out when you hit bumps. They're quite happy to take stuff back so long as you've got the receipt.

Yes might be worth a go chris - they have a good track record.

I have two of their AA battery fronts and one of their USB fronts - both are up to night riding in country lanes.

Unfortunately they seem to have departed from the excellent front light mount those used in that recent light but probably fine for your purposes.

And their next lights might be better.

If you go for them, please return the favour of the advice on here and report back on them.

Sharky

Guru
Riding to the gym and back, it's about 3 miles each way mainly on main roads in Birmingham.
If only 3 miles, it's very borderline between cycling or shank's pony.

A gentle jog or brisk walk, will get you warmed up ready for some serious training in the gym and the same on the way back, will let you cool down and have your shower when you get home.
Taking the bike, means you've got to find somewhere secure to keep it. Taking all your lights/pump into the locker room for safety. Clothing for a bike needs to be much more weather proof than gym clothing and a cold ride after a hot gym session, may not be that beneficial.

shame on you sharky for trying to get someone off the bike :smile:

Right when I got back into cycling 20 years ago, after years of little exercise, one of my regular trips through the winter was to a swimming pool about that distance away.

It was a revelation/liberating.

(damn lucky I never got a puncture though as I would have been walking)

Got a pair of See Sense Icon+ on clearance last year. Not cheap but they'll last a couple of all-day rides or a week of commuting on one charge. They're 'smart'ish and will react to braking, approaching car lights and changing ambient light levels etc but you can also dial the brightness down in the app. The app also reports the charge level quite accurately which is really handy. They're not welded shut either, which means they can go back to See.Sense in NI for a battery swap when they start to flag. The newer versions are welded, which is a shame.

Looking for a new front light, as the el-cheapo "be seen" USB jobbie from Wilkinsons has just about given up the ghost. Takes ages to charge, and then only lasts about half an hour on "blink" mode. If I turn it to constant in order to augment my main light, it keels over. The rear one is still ok - I only ever use that in "blink" mode. I can't really complain as they were about £14 for the pair and have lasted me three years.

My main front light is a Cygolite Dart USB jobbie. It's ok, but could be better.

I'm thinking of something AAA powered as I've always got spare batteries in my bar bag for my rear light anyways, and the main gripe I've got with the Cygolite is that it only lasts an hour tops when am using it on maximum output.

Cheap blinkies can be had in Decathlon, and I'll snag some while I'm in there next, so not looking for like-for-like. Can you bods recommend me a good battery-powered front light that won't break the bank.

Most of my riding is on unlit (potholed & muddy) country roads, and I move my front lights between bikes.

Most of my riding is on unlit (potholed & muddy) country roads, and I move my front lights between bikes.

If that's your riding you need something way better than blinkies.

I'd recommend this:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...MI9p3kyfGX5wIVwbTtCh1SUA9MEAQYASABEgKSKfD_BwE

Uses AAs. It's excellent and I have ridden through nights with it.

It can be swapped between bikes as it uses the same mount as many Smart brand lights - mount can be bought separately.

The same mount is also used by some Lidl lights - available every now and again - I have a AA powered one and a USB one - both cost about £12 - both are OK for dark lane riding if you are careful - but not as good as that B&M.

If interested I'd grab one - I have an idea that it may be discontinued in the rush to USB - and you have already discovered the problem with those.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Looking for a new front light, as the el-cheapo "be seen" USB jobbie from Wilkinsons has just about given up the ghost. Takes ages to charge, and then only lasts about half an hour on "blink" mode. If I turn it to constant in order to augment my main light, it keels over. The rear one is still ok - I only ever use that in "blink" mode. I can't really complain as they were about £14 for the pair and have lasted me three years.

My main front light is a Cygolite Dart USB jobbie. It's ok, but could be better.

I'm thinking of something AAA powered as I've always got spare batteries in my bar bag for my rear light anyways, and the main gripe I've got with the Cygolite is that it only lasts an hour tops when am using it on maximum output.

Cheap blinkies can be had in Decathlon, and I'll snag some while I'm in there next, so not looking for like-for-like. Can you bods recommend me a good battery-powered front light that won't break the bank.

The best battery powered light for road use that I can think of is the Ixon IQ Premium. It's got a shaped beam that puts the light where you want it and I've found it perfectly fine on its own. It's cheaper if you buy it from Germany: expect it to be around £50-60. It runs on 4 AAs rather than AAAs though. As a bonus, it rather handily fits in a Smart Lunar mount. Actually, the old Smart Lunar 35 or 60 are also reasonable candidates for backup lights by themselves if you can still find stock.

ETA: I see that @Blue Hills has already got there first with the Ixon IQ Premium recommendation!

Top Bottom