Bicycle Rides - Aboard the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes, I set the camera on a tripod and compose the shot, then using an intervalometer - a programmable timer/shutter release - I pedal into the frame. It sounds simple, but it’s not really. Capturing these images takes a lot of thought and effort, from location scouting to waiting for the right light and conditions for the shot I have in mind. Nearly all of my work is done in very low light, typically twenty minutes before sunrise to a few minutes after, which means juggling f-stop, ISO and shutter speed - to try to get the finest grain and the sharpest image. You have to program the focus to a particular part of the frame and then hit it exactly. your body language and that of the bike has to be convincing - you need to be both actor and director. And in visualising your composition you need to make certain you’ll stand out from the backdrop - it’s no good having your head lost in shadow. And you have to do all this in an uncontrolled environment and typically in rapidly shifting light. It ain’t easy.

Zanelad

Guru
View attachment 624058

Through Darkest Sussex. I'd wanted for ages to make an image that caled time mind one of the coloured plates of an old-time adventure story, something illustrated by N.C. Wyeth except with as cyclist instead of is usual pirates or highwaymen. I had the spot picked out. I just needed the right conditions. When a winter fog settled over the weald I seized the moment...

Another cracking shot Full of atmosphere and a little suffering. Having read the later post about the effort and work required to take them I can only say a big thank you for the pleasure your photographs give. I struggle to take a snap on my phone that's in focus and doesn't have half the subject missing. As always I look forward to the next one.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Another cracking shot Full of atmosphere and a little suffering. Having read the later post about the effort and work required to take them I can only say a big thank you for the pleasure your photographs give. I struggle to take a snap on my phone that's in focus and doesn't have half the subject missing. As always I look forward to the next one.
That is very kind of you - and believe me I appreciate your taking the time to write. As I mentioned I put a lot of thought and effort into producing these images and it means a lot to think they are well received. Thank you

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

I kind of liked the gothic mood and art nouveau framing of this old Sussex lane in a cold winter fog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Crescent Moon at Dawn, Hastings

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Consulting the Map - Doleham Lane, East Sussex. My tribute to Ellis Martin, the wonderful artist who illustrated the covers of OS maps between the wars. in these covers he often depicted cyclists or motorcyclists, in jacket and cap, paused at a crossroads and consulting their maps. In keeping with the tone of the image, and you add a bit of authenticity, the map I am holding here is an original OS map from about 1919 with one of Ellis Martins‘ illustrations on the cover

Top Bottom