Bicycle Rides - Aboard the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

A touch of Edward Hopper on a pre-dawn ride along the stretch of Cambridge Road, Hastings

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Cycling the lanes on a cold bright December morning, near Boreham, East Sussex

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Interesting light. Too cold for me that early in the morning though. I have been thinking about how you get these photos....are you using a radio remote?
I go out with a DSLR, a couple of lenses, a tripod and an intervalometer - a device that looks a bit like a cable release but is actually a programmable timer. The hard part is visualising the image in your mind’s eye and then getting yourself in precisely the right spot, with the right body language, right lighting, and working around the million distractions and interferences that crop up. It takes a lot if work, imagination and a whole new photographic skill set.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

A frosty morning on the lanes. I had to ride by cold starlight more than an hour and a half to reach this picturesque little stretch of hedgerow and gnarled oak by sunrise, and several times along the way, with my hands and feet numb and my ears freezing, I wondered if it was worth it - but in the end I was glad I came, and perhaps gladder still to get home again mid-morning to hot black coffee and a steaming bow of porridge! My cycling stuff is on Instagram, by the way @roffsmith

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Trying out my new tweed cycling cap and looking decidedly old school in this image from my morning ride through the coastal marshes near the hamlet of Rickney, in East Sussex

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Amazing composition Hoopdriver. I dot know how many images you took to get this one but it was worth it. Iconic image. And its not in the middle of the night and frosty!
Variety is the spice of life! There were a lot of gulls around that morning and so I set up, hoping they might cooperate. I took quite a few images but this was the most pleasing composition. I’m glad you like it. To me it conveys the breezy aerial freedom of pedalling along the seafront on a bright, fine morning

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

There are some days.... This was an image I had wanted to get of St Clements Church in Hastings Old Town but had to wait for the right time of year when the sun had shifted in the sky so that a shaft of early morning sunshine would come down this little lane. No sooner did I set up and do a trial run, however, the a tag-team of motorists came a parked squarely in the picture, despite the double yellow lines and the sheer inadvisability of parking like that on a narrow blind curve. By the time the road was clear again the sun had moved on - and so did I. This image from my one trial run at the start...

Top Bottom