Bicycle Rides - Aboard the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Spinning along the seafront promenade at Bexhill-on-Sea just after sunrise. In a few hours this place will be heaving, and the ice cream kiosk doing brisk trade, but for the moment it was all mine...

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru

Just to show you don't need to hop on a jet to enjoy the magic of a sunrise above the clouds - a spin along the old marsh road near Pevensey had me cruising along this gentle rise, just before dawn, with a thick blanket of ground fog clinging to the lowlands. When the sun broke above the horizon I had a chance to enjoy, once again, a sight I hadn't seen since the last time I was on a plane, coming home from an assignment in South America last March.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Alas, they're all I can afford. I've seen some lovely retro leather cycling shoes but at nearly £200 they are beyond my Covid-blighted budget...
What size are you? Let's see if the CycleChat collective can hunt down a pair that give a more pleasing silhouette at a bargain price.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Very thoughtful - I’m a UK11!

Lovely thread this and some truly stunning photographs, an artist is at hand her:notworthy: With every picture you are compelled to look more, further and deeper into the scene, just amazing.

I reckon there's a whole team behind this, lighting crew, hype girls and the lot, Hoopdriver just rides through once it's all set up:whistle::whistle::whistle:..... loving my Macro photography i know that isn't the case and i applaud you for taking the time and effort in setting up each shot, my stuff rarely moves and i can leave my tripod set up in the living room for days and just stroll over to get some of the shots i need (corals and underwater stuff) but wow you must have to make some serious effort to get these amazing pictures, hats off to you Sir !!!

What tips would you offer for us mere mortals in bicycle photography that are typically equipped with a smart phone ? any way to remotely trigger the shutter or would you just use the video mode and extract the best stills out of them ? I suppose a small GorillaPod would be a good phone based tripod solution for most of us, this is giving me some ideas:bicycle::hyper:

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Thank you for your kind words! I do make quite an effort to get these images.

I don't own a smart phone and am fairly ignorant of what is and isn't possible with one. I've no idea how one would remotely trigger the shutter release with one. I use a full-frame DSLR and a programmable timer called an intervalometer. They are stupidly expensive for what they are, but for doing the kind of stuff I do, a necessity. Taking stills from video might be a workable option with a mobile phone. I honestly don't know.

Gorilla Pods are handy, although if you've nowhere to secure them - fence post etc - , they lack height. You can buy fairy cheap travel tripods that will work, but then of course you've the issue about where and how to carry them.

I use a fairly chunky travel tripod, as I need it to support a fairy heavy camera/lens combination. I strap it to the rear rack on my tourer and carry my camera gear in a camera bag-knapsack.

The much trickier part of all this is the visualisation and planning and then getting yourself precisely in frame, with the light and shadow falling just so, the body language just right, the backdrop just right, and doing all this in an uncontrolled environment while the light is changing rapidly. It can be very stressful! Happy to help with any advice though.

Top Bottom