Bicycle Security V.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drewski

It can be easier than cutting the cable and doesn't look as suspicious. They don't guess it, there's a method where the actual numbers are irrelavent. Mind you, I've had to cut locks off several family bikes when keys have been lost, in broad daylight and busy places too, and nobody has said a word :blink:

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
They don't guess it, there's a method where the actual numbers are irrelavent.

Yes, I'm aware that some cheap combination locks can be opened by feel - I've had occasion to do that with my kids' bikes in the past.

That's why I was confused by your reference to the inadvisability of using certain combinations as it doesn't really make any difference to how easy it is.

Drewski

If you have a good idea what the first two numbers are, you only have two left to crack, so it takes half the time.
Oh...and it's not using any "feel" technique either :okay: The Onguard one didn't really give much indication by feel of the correct settings but the cheaper ones are indeed a bit of a joke..

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you have a good idea what the first two numbers are, you only have two left to crack, so it takes half the time.
Oh...and it's not using any "feel" technique either :okay: The Onguard one didn't really give much indication by feel of the correct settings but the cheaper ones are indeed a bit of a joke..

Actually, it is massively less than half the time.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I thnk milfloat was referring to the maths of it.

Yes, but the maths is different depending on whether you can establish the setting for each wheel independently or you need to try every value for each in combination.

dim

There are guys walking around Cambridge with these or similar in shopping bags:
post-grinder.jpg

no lock or chain can stop them ... it takes them seconds to cut through a lock or chain

they steal bikes in broad daylight. It's sad, but I never leave any of my good bikes (I have 3) locked in a public place.

If I need to lock my bike up somewhere in the city, I take my old MTB which has pannier bags (my shopping bike) and try and lock it somewhere where there are cctv cameras.... They even tried to steal the bags, so I have them secured with heavy duty cable ties

I heard that guys are coming from London on the trains, and they are stealing bikes at the new Cambridge station bike parking area.... they then just hop onto the next train to London with your bike

Drewski

That's really rough when you can't use a bike for fear of it being stolen :sad: Out of interest, are alarms ever used on cycles?

classic33

Leg End Member
Has anyone tried GPS locators? (sends SMS with location)
How about live tracking. Posistion is shown on a map.

New warehouse buildings tend to block/degrade the signal though. Done over 10 years ago., borrowed from the motorcycle industry.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No-one wearing a hi-viz jacket would be challenged if they were cutting off a lock with an angle grinder. Just looks like a council workman removing an abandoned bike.

Top Bottom