Bicycle Security V.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyMack

Being a new bike owner I must say I've found this entire thread utterly depressing.
Why do people have to be such James Blunt's. :angry:

DSK

Great original post and some good contributions as I scanned the pages but, will read the thread as time time allows.

I had a mountain bike stolen that my dad bought me from the USA during a trip from my local college when I was young. Absolutely distressing and now as the cost of bikes easily sky rockets losses will be no better.

As a born again cyclist, I am looking for something compact and portable but, as strong as possible (aren't we all), so will have to review the comments and recommendations as carry an Almax 16mm is not easy or practical even on a motorcycle let alone a pedal cycle!

For what its worth, I always cycle around the blocks if traffic/foot fall looks a bit heavy around my house ensuring I don't slow down as I approach it, so it looks like I am just cycling in the neighbourhood and then when its quiet, I dive in.

Skanker

I have to keep both my bikes inside my boat even though I don’t really have the space, I am moored just a few miles from number 2 on the list.
It’s not just bikes they steal in Kingston though, they pinch anything that’s not bolted down. Some loser even stole scratched old Perspex windows out of a poor old guys boat a few months back, leaving him draughty and cold in his nice peaceful home.
Lock it up tight or lose it if you’re ever in this neighbourhood!

southcoast

Über Member
I have to keep both my bikes inside my boat even though I don’t really have the space, I am moored just a few miles from number 2 on the list.
It’s not just bikes they steal in Kingston though, they pinch anything that’s not bolted down. Some loser even stole scratched old Perspex windows out of a poor old guys boat a few months back, leaving him draughty and cold in his nice peaceful home.
Lock it up tight or lose it if you’re ever in this neighbourhood!

About 40 years ago I had a motorcycle and various other parts stolen in Kingston. The bike turned up six months later a little worse for wear! Sounds like things haven’t changed much.

Gunk

Guru
Sadly here in Oxford thefts are so prevalent and roads are so bad you see very few decent bikes within the city. I never ride into town on a decent bike, we have a 10 year old Ridgeback ladies bike with a couple of baskets on and we all just use that, it blends in and isn’t worth much if it does end up getting stolen.

Cycling_Samurai

I am locking my bike in my carpark. I double lock it and always put a cover on it. Fortunately there are several other bikes in the carpark without covers and are old and cheap bikes. The cover protects from the rain as well. When out and about I use a cable lock to temporary lock it whilst I enter cornerstore for refuel. So far no one I believe has attempted to steal my bike. Although other crimes are up in the area. Even home burglaries including low level flats.

Let me say that the OP did a great job at presenting this. Unfortunately as I recently learned that locks are just deterrents. Lock picking thieves abound. Most locks can be picked given skill and time. So get the best lock one can and lock to solid objects.

Last edited:

iggypop37

only bike of mine Ive ever caught anyone trying to nick was a folding 26 inch wheel dahon . they'd damn near got through the cheap cable lock. Its now in the back of my car under a blanket. Sister in London has had dozens nicked.

Big John

Guru
I work as a volunteer mechanic for a bike charity. I had to remove a cable lock from the bike of one of the charities trustees whose key had broken in his lock. I'd got some bolt croppers at home and it took all of three nanoseconds to snip the cable. I told him to get a decent D lock. The other day I saw a video on YouTube that showed how crazily simple it was, with the right tool, to open a D lock. Took the guy about 30 seconds. This was one of the Kryptonite ones that cost a fortune. If they want your bike, I mean REALLY want it, then I'm not sure what can be done to stop them.

Big John

Guru
No, they used a proper lock picking tool that apparently you can purchase online. They knew what they were doing and obviously knew how to use the tool but the fact that they opened two top of the range Kryptonite locks was worrying. We had four business safes at work (long story but I won't bore you) and we lost the keys to get in them. Had to legally employ a safe cracker at great expense. I thought he'd be with us best part of the day trying to get in them - these were well known makes of safe, Chubb for example, and about 4 feet high. Took him less than an hour to do all four. Cost us £600. Not bad work if you can get it, eh?

Top Bottom