Bidets....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Many years ago after I damaged my spine I became incontinent (thank God I'm OK now :smile:) and I thought they would be a great idea for me as I was wearing nappies, but the bathroom was too small, I did find one that fitted inside the loo, but it was cheaply made.
I asked my incontinent adviser could she help, what she said I could sit on the edge of the bath with a spray gun (a bum gun as you call it) it sort of worked providing you didn't loose your balance and fall head first into the bath.
I have always thought bidets as a good idea and I think all house should have one.

There was one in my bathroom when I moved in. I found a grubby facecloth tucked behind the adjacent wash hand basin. I think that clears up the how to dry query.
I never used the bidet for its proper purpose but it was quite good for keeping plants in. I eventually got rid of it. I can keep lots more plants in the bath. :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mmm can I fit one in the motorhome....
Six different spray patterns......:hyper:
Hozelock spray head.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would love a bidet, when I came to the UK I was surprised not to find one in bathrooms.
Probably the reason is lack of space, as mentioned up thread.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Many years ago after I damaged my spine I became incontinent (thank God I'm OK now :smile:) and I thought they would be a great idea for me as I was wearing nappies, but the bathroom was too small, I did find one that fitted inside the loo, but it was cheaply made.
I asked my incontinent adviser could she help, what she said I could sit on the edge of the bath with a spray gun (a bum gun as you call it) it sort of worked providing you didn't loose your balance and fall head first into the bath.
I have always thought bidets as a good idea and I think all house should have one.
I’m currently incontinent....
Oops, no. I meant on the Continent :-/

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just discovered that bum guns, also known at shattafs, are widely available in this country at very low cost compared to a bidet. The basic models just branch off the water supply to the lavatory cistern and supply only cold water. This might not be a problem in warm climates, but I wouldn't be wanting to hose down my bum with water at 5 degrees C in the middle of winter. It starts to get more expensive if you opt for a thermostatic or manual supply of warm water. Anyway, there's loads of stuff available on Ebay and Amazon if you are curious about them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When we bought the current house the main bathroom had a bidet fitted. However, it was just regular hot and cold taps. Without wanting to sound too graphic, this doesn't seem to be the most efficacious way to effect posterior hygiene

As such, it went unused. We are in the process of redeveloping that bathroom.and the bidets gone and is not being replaced

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not exactly a Bidet story, but.........

Some years ago, we were travelling through France. One evening (well, most evenings) we went to a bar for a few drinks.

Part way through the evening, Mrs @BoldonLad decided she wanted to go to the loo.

Off she went, but, was missing for absolutely ages, meanwhile, I had drunk all of the wine and had to buy more.

Eventually, she re-appeared, looking very sheepish. It turned out she had had her first encounter with a Continental "hole in the ground" toilet, and, could not decide which way round she should position herself to pee. Clearly, she chose the wrong direction, because she had to perform a "wash down" in the bidet.

Top Bottom