Big lass not at the front....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

florencethnurse

for fear of infringing copyright haha
So I have just come back from my first proper ride on my new fx3 I didn’t go far just round the corner to a business park so I can practice my gearing and get used to being on a bike again, I really enjoyed it but I was knackered must go to the gym, I think I’ve got the hang of the gears now but will practice a few more times, I’m struggling with balancing , by that I mean using one hand to indicate my intentions and one to control the bike any advice
I can say that my special cycling shorts can not arrive fast enough I have a very sore unmentionables I have had to pay over the odds because of my oversize but am hopeful they will make all the difference and soon I can buy off the shelf ( if I drop 2 dress sizes)
Safe riding see you all soon

Slick

Guru
Glad you had fun, it's amazing how quickly you will make progress so stay at it. The best way to get bike fit is on the bike, so I personally would give the gym a miss but different strokes and all that. I'll leave any advice on the unmentionables for someone else . :shy:

You'll find your balance in no time, good enough for you to cycle like this to remove peds from your path.

upload_2018-6-15_21-12-8.jpeg

You'll notice the (positive) difference with the new shorts .

Good luck and enjoy.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well done for getting out. Re the balance, this will come with confidence. Is there a park local to you where you could practice so there is a softer landing if it goes wrong?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
:okay:

I know someone who has problems balancing while taking one hand off the handlebars to indicate or whatever.
That was me, too. I learnt to ride in my late twenties, and started commuting (not daily) on footpaths because I'd fall off every time I signalled. I never analysed it, just gradually skilled up and got over it.

Though I am still (as @vickster can confirm) a bit less confident on the bike even after 50,000+km compared to someone who learnt as a child.

Welcome @florencethnurse and enjoy the journey.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What saddle has your bike currently got?

Padded shorts can help but the right saddle is important. If you can't get your existing saddle to be comfy (it might not be in the right position for you) then consider changing it.

www.cyclechat.net/threads/great-saddle-result.179537

Mrs Skol did an 18 mile ride recently and only realised after 16 of those miles that she had forgotten to put in her padded undershorts!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done!
Don't worry, the cycling will improve with time and practice, the signaling too.
I would give the gym a miss for more cycling at this stage, more you do it, better you get at it.
Ah, padded shorts! I hate them! Make me feel like I've got central heating underneath :laugh:
But to each his own.
Try changing your saddle's position, there should be an allen bolt under it that, if you undo it, makes the saddle slide on the rails.
Experiment by small values, then give it a few rides before changing again.
Sometimes, as said above, the saddle is simply wrong for you, experiment with another one.
I'm looking forward to read about your progress!

:hello: @florencethnurse

Balance, signalling etc will come with practice. :smile: Might be worth doing a bikeability-type course if there's one running local to you.

+1 for getting your saddle position sorted. Have a fettle with it (up, down, fore, aft) and see if it makes any difference. You might find that tilting the nose down a little helps with the ouchies in the downstairs department. ;)

Generally that sort of pain (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt) can be caused by the saddle being too narrow - it should be wide enough to support your sit bones; if the sit bones are supported, there's less chance of the saddle nose mashing things it shouldn't.

One caveat though - shorts and saddles are a minefield. What works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for another. I've recently invested in a pair of shorts that work for me (after two pairs that I couldn't get on with), but I'm equally happy riding the same bike in jeans without any padding at all.

Top Bottom