Big lass not at the front....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Here is a good tip, if you are approaching a red light and you are the first vehicle at the lights, stop about 6 feet behind the stop line. Then when the light faze changes to red and Amber (before the green) you can start immediately and gain balance and a tad of momentum without crossing the stop line when the light is still red.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here is a good tip, if you are approaching a red light and you are the first vehicle at the lights, stop about 6 feet behind the stop line. Then when the light faze changes to red and Amber (before the green) you can start immediately and gain balance and a tad of momentum without crossing the stop line when the light is still red.
And I thought you just made cakes.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Well done Florencethnurse, as many have already mentioned, don't worry about the gym, just ride your bike, you'll get fitter, better at riding a bike, and the saddle region will get more used to sitting on a saddle, the proper shorts will definitely help, just don't be put off by the fact that riding a bike is a bit unnatural, and you body takes a while to get used to it, especially the saddle area. I hope you carry on enjoying it, keep us updated with how things go.

My teenager (who was a natural, and happily rode a near-enough C2C at 8) invented a game to teach their smaller sibling (who most definitely wasn't!) how to indicate confidently - mainly to avoid the woeful 'shame' of him not being allowed out on the road in the Y6 bikeability lessons. They went down to the nearby park, which has lots of cyclable paths through it, and rode along with the 'challenge' of touching leaves on the trees/bushes they were passing, progressing to trying to pick a leaf on the move. Took a couple of hours, but the small person has now completely cracked riding one-handed!

I hope you bike brings you many miles of smiles :smile:

I've just changed my bike (n+1) and now got aches and sore bitd.
Usually have this for a couple of rides until the pair of us become acquainted.
Definitely go for proper shorts/leggings.
Wide saddles / jeans are devil's tools.

OP
OP
florencethnurse

florencethnurse

Hello
My proper fatlassattheback from Www.fatladattheback.com cycle shorts and jersey came today I must admit to it feeling very strange like wearing a nappy when I tried them on but I will have to ride out and see what it feels like
I went out again yesterday and managed 2 circuits of the business park without stopping
I’m getting the hang of the gears I think but need to practice balance and signalling at the same time

Hello
My proper fatlassattheback from Www.fatladattheback.com cycle shorts and jersey came today I must admit to it feeling very strange like wearing a nappy when I tried them on but I will have to ride out and see what it feels like
I went out again yesterday and managed 2 circuits of the business park without stopping
I’m getting the hang of the gears I think but need to practice balance and signalling at the same time

The pad will soften with use. But yeah, does feel rather odd first time you try padded shorts.

Keep up the good work, hun xxx

OP
OP
florencethnurse

florencethnurse

Hello
So armed with proper cycling gear I went on a let’s ride event in Sheffield today in total I have maybe clocked up 10 miles and I am cream crackered but I loved it was brilliant fun and can’t wait to ride again obviously I have a way to go to catch up to @tom73 who has cracked 400 miles this week.....

Hello
So armed with proper cycling gear I went on a let’s ride event in Sheffield today in total I have maybe clocked up 10 miles and I am cream crackered but I loved it was brilliant fun and can’t wait to ride again obviously I have a way to go to catch up to @tom73 who has cracked 400 miles this week.....

From little acorns, mighty oaks grow... :biggrin:

OP
OP
florencethnurse

florencethnurse

Just come back from a short ride but it was further than the top of the street which is where I’ve been up to now, getting used to my gears, I think and the balancing with one hand is still to be mastered I had to stop a few times but I really enjoyed it can’t wait to go out again in a couple of days

Attachments

• F3161FE5-9B06-4017-B8ED-D0ED0E971D4D.jpeg
    F3161FE5-9B06-4017-B8ED-D0ED0E971D4D.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 52DB3297-13D5-4792-97A2-6A53CFF62432.jpeg
    52DB3297-13D5-4792-97A2-6A53CFF62432.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 36
  • D6E07216-309E-4E65-B743-7C0C6CB1F277.jpeg
    D6E07216-309E-4E65-B743-7C0C6CB1F277.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 38

Brads

Awsome, and nice bike btw.

Once you are whizzing about every day, dying to get out on the bike rather than watch whatever rubbish is on the telly, you`ll think to yourself "why didn`t I do this years ago"

Once you have the bug proper, you`ll love it even more.

Well done.

si_c

Guru
That's a lovely looking bike, I really like the colour! Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, which is the main thing! Don't worry too much about balance, that will come with time, as your body adapts to being on the bike. It took me a while before I was 100% comfortable on the bike when I came back to it a few years back.

I'd definitely echo the advice about spending more time out on the bike vs going to the gym, especially given the weather we've had lately, far more enjoyable outside IMO. Save the gym for the wetter months.

Top Bottom