Big lass not at the front....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know someone who has problems balancing while taking one hand off the handlebars to indicate or whatever. One thing I notice is that, because she is very worried about it, she tenses up too much, gripping the bars with her remaining hand for grim death. When reminded to relax, and just practise lifting her hand up six inches then taking hold again, she is fine. Try not to be too anxious about it, just practise doing the movement in small stages and you will get there.

I'm sure there's something in the wobbling because gripping too hard theory. My cycling is instinctive having been doing it so long, so hard to work out what I'm actually doing, but having returned to motorcyles after a 25 plus year gap, it's taken a couple of years and nearly 20,000 more miles to realise I was gripping th bars too hard, and if I relax a bit it just works. Just like riding a bike you might say

simon.r

Person
I'm sure there's something in the wobbling because gripping too hard theory. My cycling is instinctive having been doing it so long, so hard to work out what I'm actually doing, but having returned to motorcyles after a 25 plus year gap, it's taken a couple of years and nearly 20,000 more miles to realise I was gripping th bars too hard, and if I relax a bit it just works. Just like riding a bike you might say

Might be worth Googling ‘countersteering’ if you’ve not already.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Frankly I think that if you've not been on a bike for years then you'll get a bit saddle sore at first no matter how good the shorts or how well set up the bike/saddle. Just like you'd uncomfortable if you sat on a hard plastic/wood chair for a long period. Not majorly painful but I'd expect some discomfort just because your body is doing something it's not used to.

And unless you're riding on busy roads I wouldn't fret too much about signaling until you've got your balance. The Cyclecraft book - might be worth a look - actually advises against signaling left turns in a lot of circumstances. Once you're happier with your balance practice looking over your right shoulder. When riding on roads shoulder checks are important to help you know what's behind you and keep you safe.

But don't stress too much and just enjoy riding.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Frankly I think that if you've not been on a bike for years then you'll get a bit saddle sore at first no matter how good the shorts or how well set up the bike/saddle.

When I started riding again last year after several years of not doing one single ride, 5 or 6 miles at a time was the backside discomfort threshold. One I reached that I'd get off and either not ride again until much later in the day or not until the next day. Every subsequent ride would allow that distance to be extended. Now I can do 25-30 miles without feeling sore -and I always ride my bikes in Jeans or regular trousers. I do not use cycle-specific clothing as I regard riding a bike as an everyday casual activity that is just part of the day and not a special event that requires dressing up for.

And unless you're riding on busy roads I wouldn't fret too much about signaling until you've got your balance. The Cyclecraft book - might be worth a look - actually advises against signaling left turns in a lot of circumstances. Once you're happier with your balance practice looking over your right shoulder. When riding on roads shoulder checks are important to help you know what's behind you and keep you safe.

Clearly signalling your intentions is very important where there are other road users around. Motorists hate other motorists who don't use their indicators, and they hate non-signalling cyclists even more!. You won't get any respect or consideration from other road users if they consider you not to be using the roads properly. That means being in the right position at junctions and making your intentions clearly known to other drivers. Indecisive cyclists and other drivers really wind up a lot of motorists, as do overly aggressive cyclists/motorists who try to force their way through busy traffic unsafely. The sweet spot, where you'll get the least amount of abuse and confrontation, is being decisive and showing other road users you know what you're doing, without pushing it too far.

simon.r

Person
I do not use cycle-specific clothing as I regard riding a bike as an everyday casual activity that is just part of the day and not a special event that requires dressing up for.

I agree in principle, but it does depend what you’re doing. Jeans are fine for a steady pootle to the shops, but cycling specific clothing is comfier on a longer, faster ride.

I use playing football as an analogy - wear whatever you like for a 10 minute kickabout with your young kids, but if you’re playing a 90 minute game you’ll be comfier (and probably play better) in the ‘right’ kit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of buying a big fat squishy saddle. They are the Devil's own invention because while they may feel comfortable in the short term they will allow your sit bones to sink in transferring the load to soft tissue and causing sweating and chafing. A good saddle properly set up is what you need.

Forget the gym. Just keep pedalling. Enjoy:bicycle:

C R

Guru
:welcome::bravo:

Well done on getting started.

Regarding the underside discomfort, saddle and saddle position are key as mentioned above. Also, getting into it gradually helps build resilience. I started with about four mile circuits and building up from there. I am now doing 20 miles and over, and have not needed padded shorts so far.

Just do as much as you enjoy and you will be hooked in no time.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.

You've done well. Saddles can be difficult particularly if you haven't ridden a bike before. Padded shorts will offer more comfort. The right shape saddle can really help but your behind will a acclimatise after a while. The most comfortable isn't necessarily the most expensive so don't think you need to buy top of the range. Its about getting the correct width for your sit bones.

You will wobble at lower speeds, more pace will give you better stability.

Good luck and have fun.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I agree in principle, but it does depend what you’re doing. Jeans are fine for a steady pootle to the shops, but cycling specific clothing is comfier on a longer, faster ride. .

I've done 21 miles this morning in jeans, half on roads half on gravel/dirt tracks. Average speed just under 10 mph, but I was hitting 16/17 mph on the good stretches, so it wasn't all pootle. Legs now feeling a bit tired (probably not helped by me only having 1 cup of tea this morning and no food since last night), but no soreness from the saddle or clothing rubbing.
I find getting off the saddle and standing on the pedals to go over big bumps etc, plus the occasional brief dismount, helps relieve the pressure on the backside and prevents discomfort. I would not want to grind out endless miles in the saddle without the occasional dismount, even if riding at quite a sedate pace. It's the elapsed time spent in one seated position as much as the miles covered.

Top Bottom