Big "Thank you" to Secteur owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Just got myself a Sectuer Elite! :smile: Very happy!

I would like to say thanks to all the Sectuer owners (and verenti kilmeston owners) that replied to my PMs and contributed answers to my threads.
It was a close run thing between the Secteur and Kilmeston, but a having had test ride on the secteur it felt just right, and the seal was done. Its a 2010 model and there was already £200 off and I couldnt wangle any more, but Im still happy with the deal.

One more question... How do I change my forum name to PaulSecteur?

Norm

Excellent choice of bike, sir. :thumbsup: Not that there is anything wrong with the Verenti, but you'll have great times on the Secteur.

bad boy

Über Member
Congrats mate, enjoy it, I came 5th in my clubs hill climb the other week on it and really enjoy ridding it so all the best with yours.

potsy

Rambler
Well done Paul,about bloody time.
biggrin.gif

Name change has to be done by Admin so PM him and I'm sure he'll sort it.

It's a pity the owners club is not up and running again,must be 15-20 of us now
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Cheers!

One more question...

How are (or did) you get on with the original tyres? The standard ones have "Flak jacket" puncture protection and they feel OK from my limited time with them. Did the flak jacket work or did they punture like a non-puncture resistant tyre?

potsy

Rambler
Cheers!

One more question...

How are (or did) you get on with the original tyres? The standard ones have "Flak jacket" puncture protection and they feel OK from my limited time with them. Did the flak jacket work or did they punture like a non-puncture resistant tyre?

I got mine on the thursday,commuted Friday,had 1st puncture Monday.
Then following week 3 yes 3 in one day,they went straight in the bin after that!!
Think tyres and pedals are the best things to upgrade almost instantly Paul.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

I will keep an eye out for some tyres with better protection, I like the Conti Dura ultra gatorskins (Or whatever they are).

What do you have on now, and how do you rate them?

Paul

PS-The pedels are off it already, going to have to use SPDs, looking at getting proper road shoes and spd-sl for next year.

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Paul,
I must agree that the bike(elite) itself is awesome but the pedals are rubbish(I changed mine straight away for spd 2ways). And I must say that I haven't had any problem with the tyres yet(touch wood :tongue: ) but I will change them for better tyres when I do Lejog & 3P's next year!!
Happy cycling mate, Tony

potsy

Rambler
Went with Conti 4 seasons at first, which are light,fast,reasonably puncture proof but £30 each and they cut up quite badly after little over 1000 miles.
Now have Durano+ which are mid-weight,not as fast,but better protection,seeing as most of my riding is commuting they made more sense,about the same price too,also seem to be a lot longer lasting.

Pedals are Shimano M520's which I love.

Norm

I also had 3 punctures in one ride and I get a puncture roughly every 100 miles in the rear tyre. However, for some reason (which is probably that I'm a tightwad), I'm still on the original tyres.

The pedals are crap. They're pretty much designed to fill the holes in the cranks until you get home, and that's about how long they last.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Took her on a ride out this morning, Walsall to bloxwich then down the a34 to cannock, then up passed the Chase Gate (winking frog) and the Hollybush garden centre and home. It was a nice ride out.

For any of you that know that bit of the a34, (just a few miles before you get to the new round abouts for the toll, the section with all the speed cameras) its a smooth surface and downhill. I got up into top gear and gave it some and I was keeping up with the cars!

Hopeing to do the loop the other way this week if the weather stays good.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm on my second 2010 Secteur Elite (first one got stolen!) and it is a very good bike. I've only had one puncture on the original tyres, so maybe I've been lucky. If what you said about the Crudcatcher is right Paul, looks like I'll be moving to 23C tyres soon - so will check threads for advice on best tyres to get.

I've put new pedals on and also a stem raiser. LBS convinced me that 90% of new bikes are sold with stems too low.

As said earlier, time for a revival of the Secteur Owners club - we could form a breakaway group of the West Mids Faction.

Martin

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

If the weather stay dry-ish Im going to b giving my 23mm contis a ride in an hour, will report back if there is much change in ride quality.

I got the contis as halfords were doing a 3 for 2 offer, so I got the 2 folding gatorskins and a joe blow track pump for £55. The contis get mixed reviews, but the ones that say there are good also say they need to be run at the recommended 110psi

I really wanted the Schwalbe Durano +, but at the time they only seemed to be short stocked and prices were quite high, I think the wire bead ones are about £28, and the folders were £35ish. I wanted the folders to save a bit of weight as the excellent punture protection weighs i bit. However, should the contis not be too good I will swap to the schwables.

EDIT: Link to pics with cruds and rack fitted...
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/paule2006/Secteur -Mudguards and Rack/

Top Bottom