BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Have a go at Hardangerfjord. It has a nice little hill climb in the middle :whistle::bicycle::blink::boxing::B):surrender: Then a little sting in the tail at the end :banghead:

Keep up at the back :okay: I posted this 3 weeks before you rode it :smile:

As planned Hardangerfjord tonight. Top of the tree for me this one now, fantastic mix of terrain, decent warm up for a few miles before you hit the big climb which I found steep but not murderously so, the climb is short though so before your legs turn completely to jelly you're off on to a glorious downhill section followed by a few miles of wonderful rolling roads. One last little climb before the end which has got a bugger of a steep section which was as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit after 20 miles, a quick downhill to the finish and we're home. A++, more of the same please!!!
However if you can all bugger off from trying it as I'm actually on the Strava leader board at the moment.

You even liked my post @theboxers :laugh:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I also tried the downloading the ride first thing. It was nice to know that you shouldn't experience any sort of buffering during the ride but I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the video, particularly noticable going through the tunnel I thought it looked a bit ropey to be honest.

randylw67

What are the minimal requirements for ANT sensors needed to do the rides in BigRingVR? I ask because I do not have a trainer, just wondering if I can use an ANT sensor on an exercise bike (with USB ANT receiver on PC) to be able to move along on the rides, so that it will not be so boring when using the exercise bike. Mainly just want to use BigRingVR for the scenery, not to compete for times or real simulation of climbs etc.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What are the minimal requirements for ANT sensors needed to do the rides in BigRingVR? I ask because I do not have a trainer, just wondering if I can use an ANT sensor on an exercise bike (with USB ANT receiver on PC) to be able to move along on the rides, so that it will not be so boring when using the exercise bike. Mainly just want to use BigRingVR for the scenery, not to compete for times or real simulation of climbs etc.
I can't help I'm sorry although I would imagine @ibooij would be able to. In the meantime have you looked at the requirements on the website http://bigringvr.com/? Also you could try contacting them through the website, they're very quick and very helpful :okay:

randylw67

On their site, the software is compatible with speed and cadence ANT+ sensors, but it isn't clear to me if that is just to provide additional information, or if you can actually ride through the scenes with only those sensors.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
On their site, the software is compatible with speed and cadence ANT+ sensors, but it isn't clear to me if that is just to provide additional information, or if you can actually ride through the scenes with only those sensors.
Well as I said you could wait for @ibooij he's on the Big Ring team but is kind enough to pop in and have a chat to us occasionally or you could message them directly for a speedier response.

randylw67

Thanks, I sent an email to them. I also posted here so if they respond, others who have the same question can find the answer here as well :-)

ibooij

Über Member
@randylw67 We support ANT+ speed and cadence sensors (and combined speed/cadence sensors). Of course, we don't have a virtual power profile for your exercise bike, so you might have to play with settings (wheel size) a bit to see what works best.

@Mugshot have you tried the higher quality video? If you CPU can handle it the video looks a lot better. It'll just take a bit longer to download :-)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@Mugshot have you tried the higher quality video? If you CPU can handle it the video looks a lot better. It'll just take a bit longer to download :-)
Hello @ibooij , I haven't had much of a play with it as I wanted to get on with the ride to be honest. Would you need to select the enable HD video tab in the video options in preferences to alter the quality of the downloaded video? It took a long time to download as it was.

randylw67

@randylw67 We support ANT+ speed and cadence sensors (and combined speed/cadence sensors). Of course, we don't have a virtual power profile for your exercise bike, so you might have to play with settings (wheel size) a bit to see what works best.

Thanks ibooij for the response! I am assuming that I need the speed sensor for movement, and the cadence would just be for additional information, based on an earlier message in this post where someone said their cadence sensor had stopped and was registering 0, but I think you said that wouldn't stop the movement of the video.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Hafslovatnet from Sogndal tonight, lovely scenic ride. Long drag at the start of the ride, which seems to just keep on going, once you're over that however you're off and rolling to try to pick your average back up again. There's a bump towards the end, but nothing to get bent out of shape about and once you're over that you've got a couple of miles of the most scenic part of the route. Nothing too taxing, although as mentioned you wont miss the drag at the start, after that though whack the music up and have a spin session/TT/ bimble/whatever takes your fancy to the end :okay: Liking Norway!!

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot indeed you can enable HD video in the video tab in preferences. Just make sure your CPU is up to it. You can do the video test from tab same page in preferences as well. It'll test your download speed and your computer's ability to decode HD video.
Hafslovatnet from Sogndal is indeed a lovely ride. I rather like that first climb, but that steepness, between 5-8% is my sweet spot :-)

@randylw67 Cadence sensor won't be used for speed, that's just used to be able to display and store (in TCX file) your cadence.

Hafslovatnet from Sogndal tonight, lovely scenic ride. Long drag at the start of the ride, which seems to just keep on going, once you're over that however you're off and rolling to try to pick your average back up again. There's a bump towards the end, but nothing to get bent out of shape about and once you're over that you've got a couple of miles of the most scenic part of the route. Nothing too taxing, although as mentioned you wont miss the drag at the start, after that though whack the music up and have a spin session/TT/ bimble/whatever takes your fancy to the end :okay: Liking Norway!!
I tried this ride for the first time today (in fact first time back on the turbo for about a month). A nice ride to have a good workout on.

Top Bottom