BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@ibooij do you have any plans to add a little more to the decription of the rides?

For example Big Thompson Canyon says;

"The ride ends at the Stanley Hotel, which hosted the horror novelist Stephen King and served as inspiration for the Overlook Hotel in his 1977 bestseller The Shining. Youtube - Here's Johnny Stanley hotel and its surrounding structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Whereas Alpe d'Huez says;

"Alpe dHuez - a nice ride in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France"

The majority seem to just say "a nice ride", it would be useful (well it would to me) to see a little more information, not paragraphs but maybe a a little description. For example I really like the rides with the narrow roads, edging round hairpins with at best a piece of string to keep you from plummeting to your certain death. I also enjoy the rides where there are other cyclists in the recording. I'm not quite so keen on the rides with the roads like, for example, the one in the picture for Big Thomson Canyon;

US_CO_Big_Thompson_Canyon.jpg

Even though it's unlikely to be representative of the whole ride, it doesn't inspire me to try it. Maybe a few pictures from various points of the ride which scrolled automatically when you hovered over the ride name?
Anyway just a thought.

LiamW

tHANKS
@LiamW you can just run the old version, which will download the new executable, perform the update and restart.

We sometimes have to make updates that cannot be automatically updated. In that case you'll have to download a new zip. We're planning on streamlining that process as well.

Thanks mate

ibooij

Über Member
@Mugshot We will be adding more descriptions in the (near) future. As you can imagine, it takes quite some time to add these descriptions. We're focussing on other things at the moment, but will be taking time to add better descriptions in the future.

Thanks for the idea to show more pictures from a ride. We'll definitely think about that! For now, we can look for a good way to show the Youtube demo video (not available for all rides), so you can take a quick look at the video. Would that work for you?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@Mugshot We will be adding more descriptions in the (near) future. As you can imagine, it takes quite some time to add these descriptions. We're focussing on other things at the moment, but will be taking time to add better descriptions in the future.

Thanks for the idea to show more pictures from a ride. We'll definitely think about that! For now, we can look for a good way to show the Youtube demo video (not available for all rides), so you can take a quick look at the video. Would that work for you?
Thanks for the reply @ibooij I'm sure you're flat out at the moment and that descriptions are a little way down a very long check list.
A little taster video would be good, just something to give a quick impression of a ride that can be accessed from within the program would be great. As I said it may just be me wanting the moon on a stick but @theboxers liked my post so maybe there's at least two of us :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
As planned Hardangerfjord tonight. Top of the tree for me this one now, fantastic mix of terrain, decent warm up for a few miles before you hit the big climb which I found steep but not murderously so, the climb is short though so before your legs turn completely to jelly you're off on to a glorious downhill section followed by a few miles of wonderful rolling roads. One last little climb before the end which has got a bugger of a steep section which was as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit after 20 miles, a quick downhill to the finish and we're home. A++, more of the same please!!!
However if you can all bugger off from trying it as I'm actually on the Strava leader board at the moment.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I had the pleasure of a gentle recovery ride in Norway today between Sorfjorden to Odda on BRVR. It was everything I remember about riding (a motorbike) in Scandanavia. Long, smooth, twisty roads and almost no traffic. The waterfall would have been nice to stop by to take a few pics (I know I asking tooo much :laugh:).

It's good to be back on the saddle and doing these rides again :thumbsup:

theboxers

Oww that hurt. The middle lump was painful, but the one at the end was deceptive. Still that's Hardangerfjord done and I quite enjoyed it :bicycle::sweat::rofl:

theboxers

When selecting routes I am having trouble seeing all the website routes on the simulator software. I can only see 3 of the 5 routes for Norway in the country list and can only find 3 of the 5 routes by name searching :wacko:. The 2 missing are Sognefjellet and Latefossen. I have none of the time, distance or difficulty slide bars moved from their default positions in the sim sw.

Not a big issue, but I'd like to do these rides :hello:.

ibooij

Über Member
@theboxers Sognefjellet and Latefossen will come on-line later. We're still testing and tweaking those rides. They shouldn't have been in the list on the web site yet, sorry for that.

In other news: The pre-download functionality is live in the version we released today. If you have limited download bandwidth, you are now able to download the video file before riding. When riding, there will still be a need for a network connection, but the bandwidth use will be minimal then.

theboxers

@theboxers Sognefjellet and Latefossen will come on-line later. We're still testing and tweaking those rides. They shouldn't have been in the list on the web site yet, sorry for that.

In other news: The pre-download functionality is live in the version we released today. If you have limited download bandwidth, you are now able to download the video file before riding. When riding, there will still be a need for a network connection, but the bandwidth use will be minimal then.
Thanks for the update on the rides :thumbsup:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I had the pleasure of a gentle recovery ride in Norway today between Sorfjorden to Odda on BRVR. It was everything I remember about riding (a motorbike) in Scandanavia. Long, smooth, twisty roads and almost no traffic. The waterfall would have been nice to stop by to take a few pics (I know I asking tooo much :laugh:).

It's good to be back on the saddle and doing these rides again :thumbsup:
Had a crack at this one last night, very nice indeed, may well do another Norway ride tonight. The KOM is interesting :whistle:

Top Bottom