BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
BigRingVR developer here. The name was there already before I had a smart trainer. I used a fluid trainer (Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll) for my indoor trainer. I was doing most of my training and all of the climbing in the big ring to be able to apply enough power. Hence the name. I agree it could probably be called SmallRingVR at this moment, but that doesn't sound as nice ;-)

Most of our rides are climbs currently. We'll be adding more flat and rolling videos as we go along.

cheers!
Ilja
How fabulous that you have dropped by. This will be smiled upon by many and I hope you get lots of new users. I'll be downloading soon, just recovering from a spill so I will need flattish routes for a while.

Good luck :smile:

ibooij

Über Member
Thanks all for your kind words.

Next Spring and Summer we'll be shooting more rides, including rolling and flat ones. We had limited time last summer to shoot, so we went on a filming frenzy in the Alps. My business partner is from Colorado, so he also filmed those beautiful rides over there.
There are so many nice roads to ride, we can't possibly offer everything, because we also want to offer good quality.

By the way, if any of you have any pressing issues please use the "Report an Issue" button in the app, or go to http://www.bigringvr.com/issue.aspx

cheers,
Ilja
BigRingVR Team

Bored Man

Upstanding Member

Next Spring and Summer we'll be shooting more rides, including rolling and flat ones. We had limited time last summer to shoot, so we went on a filming frenzy in the Alps. My business partner is from Colorado, so he also filmed those beautiful rides over there.
There are so many nice roads to ride, we can't possibly offer everything, because we also want to offer good quality.

By the way, if any of you have any pressing issues please use the "Report an Issue" button in the app, or go to http://www.bigringvr.com/issue.aspx

cheers,
Ilja
BigRingVR Team

The very best of luck to you.. I very much look forward to the flatter-ish runs.. it's my knees you know.. :becool:

Breedon

Legendary Member

cheers,
Ilja
BigRingVR Team

Are all the videos that will be on website done by yourselves to insure quality or would people be able to upload them in the future but you have a look at them to insure quality and no double videos.

Edit: read the previous post properly and you get the answer :whistle:

Last edited:
The very best of luck to you.. I very much look forward to the flatter-ish runs.. it's my knees you know.. :becool:

Jim. I did two BigRingVR rides this morning... well sort of... Col du Granon. just 6.4 miles of hard climbing then followed up with a warm down on their new "Fern Pass to Neuschwanstein" ride which after a little climb at the start looks mainly flat/downhill. I just did the first 8 miles of it as the warm down but you might like to have a bomb along its full length. ;) Looks like it's beautifully filmed.

ibooij... you may have guessed, I'm a real fan of what you are doing.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Jim. I did two BigRingVR rides this morning... well sort of... Col du Granon. just 6.4 miles of hard climbing then followed up with a warm down on their new "Fern Pass to Neuschwanstein" ride which after a little climb at the start looks mainly flat/downhill. I just did the first 8 miles of it as the warm down but you might like to have a bomb along its full length. ;) Looks like it's beautifully filmed.

ibooij... you may have guessed, I'm a real fan of what you are doing.

Cheers MD. I'll have a proper look.. :thumbsup:

ibooij

Über Member
Are all the videos that will be on website done by yourselves to insure quality or would people be able to upload them in the future but you have a look at them to insure quality and no double videos.

Edit: read the previous post properly and you get the answer :whistle:

Indeed, we've filmed them ourselves. We'll be doing our own videos for the foreseeable future, but we will perhaps start cooperating with other producers.

It's possible to use your own videos with BigRingVR. All that's needed is a video file (avi or mp4) and a gps track (gpx, with timestamps). If the video and the gps track are synchronized BigRingVR will use it just like a regular RLV. That's what the "local" tab in the GUI is for. You can also use it for old Tacx RLVs and for Cycleops Virtual Trainer .xml files.

jarlrmai

Veteran
My sarky comment attracted the developer! Not had a chance to use this yet (weather just got nicer here) but I will certainly be hooking it up in the pain cave when I get the chance.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

PR racing introduced today: http://bigringvr.com/news.aspx. Will try it later this week.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

The bug I reported is already fixed! Impressive! Bkool has had at least six months to clean up the obviously false record times up Alpe d'Huez, should be easy enough, but nothing happens...

The bug I reported is already fixed! Impressive! Bkool has had at least six months to clean up the obviously false record times up Alpe d'Huez, should be easy enough, but nothing happens...
Yesterday at 19:18

Interesting, your post prompted me to look at something... I did the BigRingVR ride of Stelvio from Bormio this afternoon. Just a steady plod but a good workout and very enjoyable. I looked at the Strava leaderboard and note that the current KOM went up in about a third of my time but averaged around 188W compared to my average of 210W. Now, I only weigh around 69kg so hardly a fatty... what must this guy weigh?

The guy in second spot averaged 812W... in his dreams. None of this bothers me personally as I have no pretentions about picking up KOMs at my age and just like to measure improvements (hopefully, against myself). Speaking of that I tried the new BigRingVR function of riding against myself for a short ride yesterday, seemed to work well. Btw, all of these rides were Bkool tagged.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Ghost function working properly, but will be a bit easier for most people when you don't have to upload manually.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Haven't used Bkool for three four weeks, haven't missed it a second! Did Alpe d'Huez today. So much better video!

Haven't used Bkool for three four weeks, haven't missed it a second! Did Alpe d'Huez today. So much better video!
I'm much the same as you. I've done the odd Bkool ride (eg. Velodrome for a kind of warm down) but BigRingVR has pretty much taken over for me. On Bkool I'm running on my freebie period of premium membership and don't know that I'll bother to pay for it when that runs out.

I still use VeloReality and think that is pretty good... I like their Flanders based rides which give a really good workout. I do like their Workout function.

However, BigRingVR just does it right as far as I'm concerned... great rides (and function) and more added all the time, the interface and dashboard is easy to read and provides all I need, the guy running it are friendly and responsive. How long it will be before they start charging I don't know but as long as they keep it to a reasonable level I think it will be worth it. As said previously, I've no connection with BRVR.

btw, saw your Alpe d'huez ride on Strava...

Top Bottom