BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
Like the look of this, shame it's not compatible with iPad/iPhone, wonder if my old laptop would be able to operate it

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Still meaning to give it a go great product from my initial tinkering

martin22

How are you all finding the resistance on various grades, my Bkool classic seems (in my mind) harder on bigring VR than say Bkool or Zwift.

I'm still enjoying the rides and like it though, just wondered what others were experiencing.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

How are you all finding the resistance on various grades, my Bkool classic seems (in my mind) harder on bigring VR than say Bkool or Zwift.

I'm still enjoying the rides and like it though, just wondered what others were experiencing.

Can't say I have the same experience/feeling. FWIW I feel The transitions between resistance levels are smoother on BigRingVR, and more instant.

If you don't know already, hit P a couple of times while riding to get different profile views.

I'm using a Bkool Pro and can't say that I can feel any great difference compared to Bkool (I haven't used Zwift). However, as borchgrevnink says, the BRVR transitions seem very smooth. My overall impression is that the BRVR gradient handling feels pretty much right compared to similar gradients I've ridden for real.

I do have the "bee in my bonnet" which I mentioned earlier in this thread regarding a lot of Bkool rides segment times that show up on Strava. There are plenty of unrealistic Bkool results on the leaderboards but I don't know if that is as a result of people using slope reduction??

ibooij

Über Member
That's the second time that I've read that BigRingVR feels harder then it should. Both times on a BKool trainer.
It's logical that a 5% incline on BigRingVR feels harder than 5% on Zwift, because Zwift uses a 50% grade reduction (only for the trainer, not for the simulation) by default. We don't do that, but you can change the settings to achieve the same. In Preferences->Smart Trainer you can set the difficulty setting. Putting it on 50% should give the same feel as Zwift.

What this settings does is quite simple: If it's on 50%, the incline sent to the trainer will be halved. However, the simulation will still use the original value, so you'll still have to have the same power output to get to the same speed as before.

bobinski

Legendary Member
That's the second time that I've read that BigRingVR feels harder then it should. Both times on a BKool trainer.
It's logical that a 5% incline on BigRingVR feels harder than 5% on Zwift, because Zwift uses a 50% grade reduction (only for the trainer, not for the simulation) by default. We don't do that, but you can change the settings to achieve the same. In Preferences->Smart Trainer you can set the difficulty setting. Putting it on 50% should give the same feel as Zwift.

What this settings does is quite simple: If it's on 50%, the incline sent to the trainer will be halved. However, the simulation will still use the original value, so you'll still have to have the same power output to get to the same speed as before.

50% is the default setting in Zwift to allow use of trainers that max out at 7% gradients. So a 14% will feel like 7% but you won't go any faster, for the same power output, as someone riding at 100% as I do on my NEO.

BRVR is a fantastic offering and one of the reasons I am unlikely to renew my bkool subscription.

Breedon

Legendary Member
There's a update in which you can challenge other riders direct and not by manually putting in a tcx file.
I've been waiting for this so will give it a go later I wonder if the rider you challenged gets a note

GGJ

Veteran
Just signed up for BigRingVR, no idea if my old laptop is powerful enough and waiting on an Ant+ thingy too arrive in the post. Looking forward to trying it

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

There's a update in which you can challenge other riders direct and not by manually putting in a tcx file.
I've been waiting for this so will give it a go later I wonder if the rider you challenged gets a note

Have you understood how you go about doing this?

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

I haven't yet... I see my own previous attempts on rides I've already done plus on some rides I can select Vlad and/or Ilja but no others. I'm presuming that any database of "members" rides will get built over time. I did see some mention of people opting in/out of having their rides made public.
You're correct. I have asked them, and the database will be built from now on when people complete a ride.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Did a short run on a course it was very easy to set up you select the ride you want to do then the next page with the selected ride is the option to add any other riders you select which if any you want then off you ride.
Simples.

You're correct. I have asked them, and the database will be built from now on when people complete a ride.

Did they say anything about getting agreement to add other peoples rides? No problems the using mine... probably useful to have someone to get away from easily :rolleyes:

If you look on there now can you see me (Derek Jordan) on the Col du Galibier from Valloire ride. I did this one earlier today. I can see myself on it now but don't know if anyone else can?

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Did they say anything about getting agreement to add other peoples rides? No problems the using mine... probably useful to have someone to get away from easily :rolleyes:

If you look on there now can you see me (Derek Jordan) on the Col du Galibier from Valloire ride. I did this one earlier today. I can see myself on it now but don't know if anyone else can?

I can see your time Derek!

Top Bottom