BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've read the thread and probably missed it and I've looked at the website and probably missed it there too, so I'll ask what's probably already been answered, what's the cost after beta going to be?

bobinski

Legendary Member
You will always have the option to ride alone, so you can do you own ride without thinking about other riders.

I agree that Zwift is often very crowded, I don't think we would want that. It's also harder to achieve, because we have more kilometers of road to ride, so riders will always be spread out between rides.

Regarding drafting: We don't have that implemented and have no plans of doing that at the moment.

Zwift is moving to closed group rides to deal with the crowded criticism and to help untangle the mass of info presented though its pretty clean i think for what it does. That said user configurable would be huge.

ibooij

Über Member
I've read the thread and probably missed it and I've looked at the website and probably missed it there too, so I'll ask what's probably already been answered, what's the cost after beta going to be?

We're not mentioning price on the website or anywhere else yet. We haven't decided on the exact pricing, but it will be in the same ballpark as Zwift, BKool, Cycleops Virtual Training, etc. We're still testing the waters and investigating the various options we will have.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
We're not mentioning price on the website or anywhere else yet. We haven't decided on the exact pricing, but it will be in the same ballpark as Zwift, BKool, Cycleops Virtual Training, etc. We're still testing the waters and investigating the various options we will have.
Thank you, I thought there'd be a logical explanation.

kipster

Guru
@r04DiE Yes, you can run BigRingVR from a thumb drive, there's no need to install anything.

We will be offering more ways to log in. We're not planning on storing passwords ourselves, so we'll probably always be using one of the bigger names (Google, Facebook, Microsoft) for that.

@MasterDabber You should be able to change the name in the box from which you load the tcx file. You probably won't need to do that so often anymore, as we now save the activities to our servers so you can just pick your own our others' previous rides without having to load tcx files.

Just a question out of interest: Would you guys like to see real-time head-to-head racing in BigRingVR, like in BKool and Tacx Multiplayer? If so, what are the things that you, as users, would really like to see in real-time racing?
We can make guesses at what the most important things are, but we really value your opinion!
Regarding races, it would be good to have ghosts of the other riders on the screen and a list of other riders around you (uptown 4 either infront or behind) and how many seconds they are ahead or behind.

ibooij

Über Member
@kipster Using ghosts on screen is not something we're aiming for soon. We haven't tried it yet, but we've looked at the BKool and Tacx implementations and don't really like those. It's pretty hard to make something that looks nice when putting graphics on the video,

For now we'll keep ghost/avatars on the altitude profile(s) and a ranking with time differences. Adding W/kg to the ranking, like in Zwift, might be a good idea.

kipster

Guru
@kipster Using ghosts on screen is not something we're aiming for soon. We haven't tried it yet, but we've looked at the BKool and Tacx implementations and don't really like those. It's pretty hard to make something that looks nice when putting graphics on the video,

For now we'll keep ghost/avatars on the altitude profile(s) and a ranking with time differences. Adding W/kg to the ranking, like in Zwift, might be a good idea.
I did wonder if it could be done with video or not, I agree the Bkool implementation of ghosts on video is poor.

Breedon

Legendary Member
@ibooij its great to see you taking the ideas put forward and adding them to big ring, as any ideas can only inhance the ride quality, keep up your good work with the community and the customer service and you have a true quality product.

GGJ

Veteran
Ant+ stick arrived today so fired up the laptop and plugged it in...nothing. Had to download the drivers from Garmin website then went to BigRingVR and connected to that only to find what I suspected, the laptop is so old it doesn't have the correct video drivers to support BigRingVR. Back to the drawing board for me

@ibooij One further thing I'd add is that as you gradually add new functionality please keep the excellent performance of the current product... especially in terms of reliability, quality of the dashboard and overall layout, gradient transitions etc.
I think we are all impressed with what you are doing wish you much success in establishing your platform. As your user base grows significantly the scalability is going to become paramount and from this forum you can see the frustration with other platforms when base performance drops.

I hope all that doesn't sound too pompous and I'm sure you are already aware of all this.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

I really agree with most comments here regarding live races.

Would like to add that it should be really easy to set up these live rides with friends and/or other random riders. In Bkool I have several times found it difficult for some people to find the correct ride etc.

Drafting: I completely agree, never implement it, extremely difficult to get right.

Watt per kg and HR % of max would be interesting to see. If I see HR % of max I can see how hard they ride.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Yeah, I agree with everyone here. I also think that seeing other riders' stats would be a very good thing, it would have so much more use than just seeing your own. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom