BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
That's good news JLaw... I'm in France at the moment and have been recording my rides on GoPro and Garmin and loading them as Local rides on BigRingVR. The editing and loading has been very simple but I can't test any yet as I don't have my turbo with me. I'm looking forward to riding some of my favourite routes when I'm back in the UK.... today should be interesting, I'd just finished a Cat 3 climb and came up behind a flock of sheep where I got stuck for about 4 minutes... should be interesting blasting through them in VR :bicycle::wacko:
I can't express how easy it was. Convert the .fit to a .gpx track. Drag & drop it along with the mp4 into the right directory and it just works. If it could suck in a .fit and use that as an initial competitor by default, then it'd be just about perfect.

And it was veloreality I was thinking of. I've already got a query out to them to see if you get synchronized gps data with their videos. If so, I'll buy one and give it a whirl with bigringvr.

JLaw

Veteran
SIgh. AFAICT the veloreality rides have GPS data embedded into their video streams -- thus it is exceedingly difficult to extract and bigringvr doesn't know how to process the embedded stream AFAICT.

JLaw

Veteran
And the BigRingVR team comes through on the elevation/incline problem!

It turns out I had on "smart" recording on my Garmin, which results in inconsistent intervals for recording data (presumably to reduce the number of data points). According to the BigRingVR folks, they saw anywhere from 1-10 seconds between recorded samples. That seems to muck up their elevation smoothing algorithms.

They were nice enough to analyze the issue, show me how to fix it myself *and* fixed my existing datafile (I had to figure out how to fix my garmin :-). Anyway, the net result is the elevation profile looks much more sane loaded into BigRingVR now. Lots of yellow with some purple/red instead of a purple/red nightmare. Now I just need my legs to recover from the 5000+ ft vertical climb so I can try it again as a mere 3200ft vertical climb.

bobinski

Legendary Member
And the BigRingVR team comes through on the elevation/incline problem!

It turns out I had on "smart" recording on my Garmin, which results in inconsistent intervals for recording data (presumably to reduce the number of data points). According to the BigRingVR folks, they saw anywhere from 1-10 seconds between recorded samples. That seems to muck up their elevation smoothing algorithms.

They were nice enough to analyze the issue, show me how to fix it myself *and* fixed my existing datafile (I had to figure out how to fix my garmin :-). Anyway, the net result is the elevation profile looks much more sane loaded into BigRingVR now. Lots of yellow with some purple/red instead of a purple/red nightmare. Now I just need my legs to recover from the 5000+ ft vertical climb so I can try it again as a mere 3200ft vertical climb.

I wonder if something similar happens with garmin uploads to bkool. It might explain transition problems and why bkool cannot make use of the uploaded files sometimes?

I wonder if something similar happens with garmin uploads to bkool. It might explain transition problems and why bkool cannot make use of the uploaded files sometimes?

I use a Garmin 520 and have my recording intervals set at 1 second. I use the elevation recorded by the 520 barometric sensor and don't use the Strava Elevation Correction (especially in France) as that seems to create non-existent elevation spikes.

JLaw

Veteran
Dunno. I need to go look at some old data files. I remember looking at that stuff when trying to get bkool to accept my rides.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Oh heck. I did my first BRVR session today :bicycle: :sweat: :eek:.

Super smooth on gradient changes. However I still suffer from the max out resistance limit of about 6 or 7%, maybe a little less, due to my weight.

The video is superb compared to most of the bkool ones.

Edit to add

Just remembered. BRVR appear to do the speed as function of weight/power like bkool used to when going up hills more than the trainer can simulate. My speed reading on the garmin compared to BRVR was higher by, sometimes, 3 or 4 kmh. I'm not complaining as it is the only way to correct for my weight.

End edit

I am not sure about power as I was on my bike without the vectors. May set that up and give it a go tomorrow to get a comparison.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed that 45 minutes but I may be tempted to continue using it :unsure:

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Oh heck. I did my first BRVR session today :bicycle: :sweat: :eek:.
Me too!

Smart turbo has arrived and set it all up in the shed and spent a painful yet satisfying 1:45 soaking the floor.
I've nothing to compare it with as have never used a smart turbo before and have not used any other training program. However, I found it so much better than using a standard turbo spinning away while watching the tele.
I haven't managed to find a user data section. After completing my ride I went back into it and can see that my previous effort is listed with the completion time and I am then able to virtually ride against myself, does it save things like average power and speed etc for that particular ride anywhere?

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Me too!

Smart turbo has arrived and set it all up in the shed and spent a painful yet satisfying 1:45 soaking the floor.
I've nothing to compare it with as have never used a smart turbo before and have not used any other training program. However, I found it so much better than using a standard turbo spinning away while watching the tele.
I haven't managed to find a user data section. After completing my ride I went back into it and can see that my previous effort is listed with the completion time and I am then able to virtually ride against myself, does it save things like average power and speed etc for that particular ride anywhere?

Glad you enjoyed it. Try making a free account at Strava. If you connect Strava and BigRing (or any other software), your rides with all the data will be stored and accessible there.

ibooij

Über Member
The ride will also be saved as a TCX file. You can (up)load that TCX file to many platforms, like Garmin Connect (web), Trainingpeaks (web), GoldenCheetah (desktop), etc.
You can find the tcx file in your Documents folder, under Big-Ring\Rides

We have not included activity analysis into BigRingVR because we there are other applications that do it so well. We'd much rather focus on getting the best ride experience.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
The ride will also be saved as a TCX file. You can (up)load that TCX file to many platforms, like Garmin Connect (web), Trainingpeaks (web), GoldenCheetah (desktop), etc.
You can find the tcx file in your Documents folder, under Big-Ring\Rides

We have not included activity analysis into BigRingVR because we there are other applications that do it so well. We'd much rather focus on getting the best ride experience.
I've tried importing my BRVR ride tcx file to garmin connect and I get an error message, no other info just an error happened. What am I doing wrong?

We don't have an automatic upload to Garmin Connect right now. Garmin charges a $5000 fee for products that want to upload to Garmin connect. We're self-funded and think we can use that kind of money more wisely.

That said: Every ride that you save ends up in a folder on your machine as a TCX file. It's in your Documents folder, under Big-Ring\Rides.
There's one thing that doesn't work correctly yet when uploading this file to Garmin Connect manually: We added a small section at the end of the file to make Strava *not* use it's elevation correction. Unfortunately, Garmin Connects does not like files that seem to be made on non-Garmin devices, so you'll have to remove this section. We will fix this in a coming a release, but have to find a way to convince Garmin to take the file, and Strava to use our altitude data and not their own.

The section looks like this (open the tcx file in notepad/wordpad to see it):

<Creator xsi:type="Device_t">
<Name>Big Ring with barometer</Name>
<Build>
<Version>
<VersionMajor>2</VersionMajor>
<VersionMinor>6</VersionMinor>
<BuildMajor>0</BuildMajor>
<BuildMinor>13</BuildMinor>
</Version>
</Build>
</Creator>

Removing this section, from
<Creator... to </Creator> will make Garmin Connect accept the file.

Apologies for having to use this work-around. We'll fix it!

You need to look at this earlier post... a bit of editing required but easy enough to do.

Top Bottom