BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
Me too!

Smart turbo has arrived and set it all up in the shed and spent a painful yet satisfying 1:45 soaking the floor.
I've nothing to compare it with as have never used a smart turbo before and have not used any other training program. However, I found it so much better than using a standard turbo spinning away while watching the tele.
I haven't managed to find a user data section. After completing my ride I went back into it and can see that my previous effort is listed with the completion time and I am then able to virtually ride against myself, does it save things like average power and speed etc for that particular ride anywhere?
For user data analysis I've found goldencheetah to be more than sufficient. And best yet, it's free.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
For user data analysis I've fold goldencheetah to be more than sufficient. And best yet, it's free.
I'll have a look, thanks, don't really want to post my turbo sessions on my strava to be honest.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
For user data analysis I've found goldencheetah to be more than sufficient. And best yet, it's free.
More than sufficient is an understatement, I just wish I knew what half of it meant! Thanks again though, I think that'll do me just fine :smile:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Oh wow :B). I did the first 2 and a bit km of Alpe d"Huez yesterday. To say bkool was being generous to me would be an understatement. I was according to the bkool trainer putting out between 180 and 200 watts. Averaging 185. These are the figures BRVR were using.

The vectors, that I have moved to the new bike, were sayin 160 to 180 watts.

I had a good cadence, for me, of over 80 (83-86 was where I was working).

Owing to my registered weight, 127kg, BRVR was drawing me back in speed. Wheel speed on the Garmin was 5-6 mph, the calculated speed from the bkool power was 4- 7 kmh. I have no issues with this because the trainer can not simulate the correct resistance for my weight. I just wish it didn't hurt as much :cry:.

I'll keep working at these climbs on BRVR. They will help me in the long run. Have I said I just wish it didn't hurt as much :cry:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Oh wow :B). I did the first 2 and a bit km of Alpe d"Huez yesterday. To say bkool was being generous to me would be an understatement. I was according to the bkool trainer putting out between 180 and 200 watts. Averaging 185. These are the figures BRVR were using.

The vectors, that I have moved to the new bike, were sayin 160 to 180 watts.

I had a good cadence, for me, of over 80 (83-86 was where I was working).

Owing to my registered weight, 127kg, BRVR was drawing me back in speed. Wheel speed on the Garmin was 5-6 mph, the calculated speed from the bkool power was 4- 7 kmh. I have no issues with this because the trainer can not simulate the correct resistance for my weight. I just wish it didn't hurt as much :cry:.

I'll keep working at these climbs on BRVR. They will help me in the long run. Have I said I just wish it didn't hurt as much :cry:
Alp d'Huez is a beast for the first 2 or so miles but you do get a good work out, it is better on the neo as i can stand up to relive the pain with no wheel slippage, can't remember my average though on bigringvr.

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

@Breedon not yet! This is very high on our ToDo list. What we'll probably do is show all riders that are currently doing a ride. We might be going to "private" group rides later.

Great! Any time frame?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Just broken my legs muscles and sit bones on Wind River Pass :B). I seriously need to drop lots more weight :mrpig:. 1.40 something for 26km, half of which is downhill :blink: :cry:.

Video is superb and grade transitions go almost unnoticed until you realise you are in the totally wrong gear :cursing:. The bkool trainer, I am using this as my power not the vectors, is flattering me on power most of the time, by about 20 watts :surrender:.

I aim to keep on this because it tends not to give a false impression. Yes I really am that slow :cry:.

Edit to try and correct terrible English :blush:

Last edited:

JLaw

Veteran
I'll try to write more later, but wanted to give a public thanks to the bigringvr folks.

After trying the corrected gpx file a few days ago and having additional problems with the gpx and slope data, the bigringvr folks took another stab at correcting the poor data in my gpx file.

I'm happy to report the latest corrected gpx file works extremely well. Effort is reasonably close to the real world. Slope transitions were excellent and well synced with the video.

In all I'm very impressed with the service provided by bigringvr and with the quality of their sim. It'll probably be my go-to sim for recreating local rides.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Just broken my legs muscles and sit bones on Wind River Pass :B). I seriously need to drop lots more weight :mrpig:. 1.40 something for 26km, half of which is downhill :blink: :cry:.

Video is superb and grade transitions go almost unnoticed until you realise you are in the totally wrong gear :cursing:. The bkool trainer, I am using this as my power not the vectors, is flattering me on power most of the time, by about 20 watts :surrender:.

I aim to keep on this because it tends not to give a false impression. Yes I really am that slow :cry:.

Edit to try and correct terrible English :blush:
I also rode Wind River Pass yesterday (I was looking for a ride of suitable distance but without much red on the profile). Still hard, but not "can't get cadence above 60, even in the smallest gear" hard.
I agree about the excellent quality of the video and transitions, but I did have one hiccup.

After about an hour, the video stopped and I got a message asking if I wanted to end the ride. I kept pedalling and hoped for the best. After 30 seconds or so, the video carried on as if there hadn't been an interruption and I finished the ride without any more problems.
Looking at the tcx file afterwards, there is a corresponding period showing a cadence of 0, but all other inputs (power, HR, speed, distance, latitude, longitude, slope) are normal.
I also used a Garmin, and the file from that confirms that I did not stop pedalling during the ride, so I can only think that it was some temporary problem with the Ant+ stick not picking up the cadence sensor. I'm surprised that the program thought I'd stopped - even with zero cadence the power output should have indicated that I was still pedalling.

I like BigRingVR. I like it a lot. But I also like to cover a reasonable distance each week, and most of the rides are too short (and too steep) for me. @ibooij indicated a couple of months ago that more varied rides will be added in time, so I'm sure that as the number of courses is increased this inconvenience will disappear.

I still like Bkool because I can always find a ride of the right length and difficulty to suit what I want to do on any particular day, but as BigRingVR continues to develop the question will eventually be "Can I justify a subscription to both?"

OP
OP
borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Too me, most of the rides are too LONG... Hehe. I like shorter but steeper rides though. What's nice is that I then can choose to ride just a section, to make it shorter.

Top Bottom