BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
Managed to pick up a second hand i7 laptop and tried a couple of short 'test sections' of BigRingVR today, played around with the computer settings and it all seems to be working flawlessly. The graphics are amazing and I'm looking forward to a full ride over the next couple of days.

Excuse the phone camera picture

IMG_1533.jpg

Managed to pick up a second hand i7 laptop and tried a couple of short 'test sections' of BigRingVR today, played around with the computer settings and it all seems to be working flawlessly. The graphics are amazing and I'm looking forward to a full ride over the next couple of days.

If you're interested have a go at http://bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=1015
Col de la Couillole which features in this coming Saturdays stage of Paris - Nice.

Reactions: GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
Is there any way to upload the ride data to Garmin or is it possible to email the ride file to myself so I can manually add it?

ibooij

Über Member
Is there any way to upload the ride data to Garmin or is it possible to email the ride file to myself so I can manually add it?

We don't have an automatic upload to Garmin Connect right now. Garmin charges a $5000 fee for products that want to upload to Garmin connect. We're self-funded and think we can use that kind of money more wisely.

That said: Every ride that you save ends up in a folder on your machine as a TCX file. It's in your Documents folder, under Big-Ring\Rides.
There's one thing that doesn't work correctly yet when uploading this file to Garmin Connect manually: We added a small section at the end of the file to make Strava *not* use it's elevation correction. Unfortunately, Garmin Connects does not like files that seem to be made on non-Garmin devices, so you'll have to remove this section. We will fix this in a coming a release, but have to find a way to convince Garmin to take the file, and Strava to use our altitude data and not their own.

The section looks like this (open the tcx file in notepad/wordpad to see it):

<Creator xsi:type="Device_t">
<Name>Big Ring with barometer</Name>
<Build>
<Version>
<VersionMajor>2</VersionMajor>
<VersionMinor>6</VersionMinor>
<BuildMajor>0</BuildMajor>
<BuildMinor>13</BuildMinor>
</Version>
</Build>
</Creator>

Removing this section, from
<Creator... to </Creator> will make Garmin Connect accept the file.

Apologies for having to use this work-around. We'll fix it!

GGJ

Veteran
Awesome, many thanks for that and it worked a treat, just a bit of a long road for a short cut. The video quality is stunning, well done on the work you have all put in to bring us this.

Is it ok to delete the 'saved' files from the BigRing/Rides folder? The reason I ask is I use a Mac desktop as my main PC, so I drag the 'saved' file (on the laptop) to the desktop (easier to find the attachment on the desktop) then email it to the Mac and edit it from there (easier to do the editing on the Mac), then I drag the saved file back into the BigRing/Rides saved folder. Not a big deal but just wondered if I need to keep the files.

We don't have an automatic upload to Garmin Connect right now. Garmin charges a $5000 fee for products that want to upload to Garmin connect. We're self-funded and think we can use that kind of money more wisely.

That said: Every ride that you save ends up in a folder on your machine as a TCX file. It's in your Documents folder, under Big-Ring\Rides.
There's one thing that doesn't work correctly yet when uploading this file to Garmin Connect manually: We added a small section at the end of the file to make Strava *not* use it's elevation correction. Unfortunately, Garmin Connects does not like files that seem to be made on non-Garmin devices, so you'll have to remove this section. We will fix this in a coming a release, but have to find a way to convince Garmin to take the file, and Strava to use our altitude data and not their own.

The section looks like this (open the tcx file in notepad/wordpad to see it):

<Creator xsi:type="Device_t">
<Name>Big Ring with barometer</Name>
<Build>
<Version>
<VersionMajor>2</VersionMajor>
<VersionMinor>6</VersionMinor>
<BuildMajor>0</BuildMajor>
<BuildMinor>13</BuildMinor>
</Version>
</Build>
</Creator>

Removing this section, from
<Creator... to </Creator> will make Garmin Connect accept the file.

Apologies for having to use this work-around. We'll fix it!
Just tried the fix and the import into Garmin Connect worked fine. I'd tried previously and the tcx file was rejected. Easy enough to do the edit.

ibooij

Über Member
Awesome, many thanks for that and it worked a treat, just a bit of a long road for a short cut. The video quality is stunning, well done on the work you have all put in to bring us this.

Is it ok to delete the 'saved' files from the BigRing/Rides folder? The reason I ask is I use a Mac desktop as my main PC, so I drag the 'saved' file (on the laptop) to the desktop (easier to find the attachment on the desktop) then email it to the Mac and edit it from there (easier to do the editing on the Mac), then I drag the saved file back into the BigRing/Rides saved folder. Not a big deal but just wondered if I need to keep the files.

You can remove the file. The only issue then is that the ride is still saved as a competitor, but BigRingVR needs the tcx file to load the positions of the competitor, so that won't work anymore. It might be easier to copy instead of move the file.

Reactions: GGJ

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just downloaded Big Ring and McAfee has flagged it as containing nasties, haven't opened it yet in case, anybody had any issues?

JLaw

Veteran
Just did my first ride in bigringvr last night. It's a local climb rather than their rides, but provides a variety of comparison points vs bkool.

The fact that I can drop in a gpx and mp4 and just ride is awesome. No more down sampling to fit in the bkool limits. I can ride in HD without the down sampling artifacts. Isn't there a group that sells videos and gpx tracks? I'll have to dig that up again. Mated with bigringvr it'd be amazing.

Slope transitions are incredibly smooth and feel so much more realistic than bkool. There's an import bug that mucks up the elevation gain and slope making my ride roughly 40 percent harder than it should be, but the developers are on it.

Interface is simple and easy to use for ride selection. In ride interface is minimal, and thus is out of the way, a huge plus in my book.

I'm having a hard time seeing renewing bkool.

That's good news JLaw... I'm in France at the moment and have been recording my rides on GoPro and Garmin and loading them as Local rides on BigRingVR. The editing and loading has been very simple but I can't test any yet as I don't have my turbo with me. I'm looking forward to riding some of my favourite routes when I'm back in the UK.... today should be interesting, I'd just finished a Cat 3 climb and came up behind a flock of sheep where I got stuck for about 4 minutes... should be interesting blasting through them in VR :bicycle::wacko:

Top Bottom