BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibooij

Über Member
@ibooij
Are we likely to see training facilities in BRVR at any point, i.e. the ability to overlay zone training, intervals, etc on top of a video?

That would be really cool and give the product a new dimension.

Great work as always.
Cheers
Dave

Hi @djk, thanks for the suggestion. We will certainly be doing that. At the moment, we're rewriting most of the user interface to make it much easier to get this information in. We'll also be adding a live map view, to be able to spot your location and that of other riders.

Thanks!
Ilja

Hi @djk, thanks for the suggestion. We will certainly be doing that. At the moment, we're rewriting most of the user interface to make it much easier to get this information in. We'll also be adding a live map view, to be able to spot your location and that of other riders.

Thanks!
Ilja

Hi @ibooij ok thanks.

The map sounds interesting. Is that going to be other riders on the same route at the same time, i.e. competitive racing? Oh dear god, if so, this is going to be painful :bicycle:

Being able to see challenges in the App would be useful to, making ride selections easier.

Cheers
Dave

ibooij

Über Member
Hi @ibooij ok thanks.

The map sounds interesting. Is that going to be other riders on the same route at the same time, i.e. competitive racing? Oh dear god, if so, this is going to be painful :bicycle:

Being able to see challenges in the App would be useful to, making ride selections easier.

Cheers
Dave

At first we'll just show the (recorded) competitors and coach that we have at the moment. Live competitors is something that will be added later.

Challenges in the app is on the todo list, but will have to come after the UI rewrite. It's pretty high on the ToDo-list!

Cheers,
Ilja

Reactions: djk

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
At first we'll just show the (recorded) competitors and coach that we have at the moment. Live competitors is something that will be added later.

Challenges in the app is on the todo list, but will have to come after the UI rewrite. It's pretty high on the ToDo-list!

Cheers,
Ilja
How you feeling now @ibooij ? I see you're still off the GOAT league.

ibooij

Über Member
How you feeling now @ibooij ? I see you're still off the GOAT league.

Thanks for asking! My neck and back are all mended now. In hindsight, I believe I suffered a concussion after my crash, as I felt completely off the whole summer. I'm now slowly getting back into training and will hopefully be back riding the league and/or other challenges in January.

There's also this thing with developing a cycling training app that takes quite a lot of time. Not ideal for training!

ibooij

Über Member

Looks like they're heading in the right direction.

We're testing a "normal" Linux version at the moment. It should be in Beta within a few weeks. It'll be an Intel 64 bit AppImage (https://appimage.org/). As I noted earlier, we've already had BigRingVR running on Linux for quite some time (years), but are looking for the best way to distribute binaries. AppImage seems to work well for that.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
New frame.... Yea, back to riding this weekend:wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:
Hi Dave, good to see you back.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
It will be good to be back. Will try not to break the bike this time :whistle: New Year's resolution; build a rocker plate...
Dave I took heed of your tale of woe and decided to look into a rocker plate myself. I looked to YouTube for inspiration and came across a variety of designs from the ones using bearing blocks and tennis balls to ones using just tennis balls. As I had neither the bearings or the, err, other things I tried to construct one with what I had to hand.

I settled on using an old 26" MTB tyre and inner tube for the springs, a plastic pipe for the pivot (that was left over from plumbing in a washing machine) and some bits of gash laminate flooring for the top plate. I decided I didn't need a bottom plate as I could use the floor.

The trainer was secured to the base using cable ties.

I tried the set up on the Degollada de La Aldea (North side) and blow me it worked!
However I noticed that the trainer moved forward against the tyre when out of the saddle under high(ish) power. So after the ride I did the following mod

Secured the pivot in place with cable ties and also the tyre but this area may need some rework. Finally to save hassle in the future I cut a small hole in the tyre and pushed the valve through, so the valve is now on the outside enabling me to inflate without having to remove the trainer.
OK it's no Rolls Royce of a job but it does the trick. Hope it serves as a bit of inspiration while we all struggle to work off all those mince pies.

Last edited:
Dave, that's awesome stuff. I'm feeling inspired...

I was planning on paying a visit to my engineering dept at work after Christmas for a steel bar and a fist full of bearings, but if your setup works out I'll try that.

I'm not sure I'll get another frame replaced under warranty (cracked chainstay) so I'm definitely going to do something

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Get a cheap ally or steel bike from eBay for trainer duties ;)

Oh, and build a rocker plate :biggrin: mines full length with bearings and steel rod using wheelbarrow inner tubes for spring back

Top Bottom