BigRingVR - The new leader of the pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Just tried BRVR today for the first time, did the Innsbruck loop and thought the gradients were a little off, 7% felt more like 10%. I'm on the 7 day trial at the moment. Was a nice enjoyable ride on a wet and windy day outside!
What trainer are you using?

There a couple of nice short rides you should try out. Both are about 5 miles.

https://www.bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=1082
https://www.bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=1081

From the same area in the US. in fact both start off of the same road a few hundred yards apart. Enjoy :whistle: :bicycle: :boxing::surrender:

Last edited:

ibooij

Über Member
@djk We're experiencing some trouble on the server side with loop rides. The rides get uploaded ok, but do not show up. This will be fixed soon, in a few days. Thanks for the heads up!

@jiberjaber Thanks for trying out BigRingVR. BigRingVR tells the trainer the exact grade that your on and also communicates your weight (and bike weight) to the trainer. If your weight is set incorrectly, grade will feel too steep.

Also, there is one thing that is very different from Zwift and possibly other cycling simulation apps: BigRingVR, by default, uses 100% of the steepness. Zwift uses 50% by default, making a 10% grade feel like 5%. You can mimick Zwift's behaviour by going to Preferences->Smart Trainer and then setting Difficulty Setting to 50%. Just like Zwift, BigRingVR always uses the original grade for the speed calculations, so this is not considered cheating.

theboxers

@ibooij
I'm not sure if it has been asked for before. On the ride search page there is a ride time next to each of the routes. I know this is set up for a certain weight and power.

Is it possible to add an adjustable weight and power box to give a better estimate of total time. I know that it is available on the app and I use it. But the app is not as nice to search for routes. If it is too difficult to implement no problem.

theboxers

I'm on a kikr (one of the first ones)
:thumbsup: as @ibooij said check the difficulty setting.

I had a kickr v3 (loved it ride wise, but the whine annoyed me), now on v4 (silent). I'm as slug slow as anybody on BRVR but it does give me a good idea of where I am physically. I need to lose a spare tyre or 2 :unsure:, 3 :blink:, errr 4 :blush:. Doing these rides is helping :bicycle::boxing::B) :surrender: honest :thumbsup:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Ok, thank you.
Hope it gets sorted soon Dave. Just completed the fourth and final ride in the challenge, not a good idea with the tail end of a head cold but at least it's done. Now sat in front of the TV watching the U23 men's time trial. It's a hard life!

Hope it gets sorted soon Dave. Just completed the fourth and final ride in the challenge, not a good idea with the tail end of a head cold but at least it's done. Now sat in front of the TV watching the U23 men's time trial. It's a hard life!

Ibooij's on the case :-) Congrats on completing the rides; tough to do at the best of times, let alone when not 100%

At least you're not ironing tonight. I think you deserve a pass on that whilst having manflu

jiberjaber

Veteran
What trainer are you using?

There a couple of nice short rides you should try out. Both are about 5 miles.

https://www.bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=1082
https://www.bigringvr.com/Ride.aspx?rideID=1081

From the same area in the US. in fact both start off of the same road a few hundred yards apart. Enjoy :whistle: :bicycle: :boxing::surrender:

Glad I checked them out before getting on the turbo lol :smile:

I noted from looking back a few posts that there are some user created content, anything for Majorca ?? I'm hoping to be over there for the NY and was thinking it would be nice to see some of the climbs before I get there?

theboxers

I noted from looking back a few posts that there are some user created content, anything for Majorca ?? I'm hoping to be over there for the NY and was thinking it would be nice to see some of the climbs before I get there?
:whistle:

@Aleman put a couple up iirc. Do a search in this thread. It was maybe a week or so ago.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
New challenge up, the Majorca 184, starts on the 22nd and runs for a month. I will definitely (not) be trying that one back to back!

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
New challenge up, the Majorca 184, starts on the 22nd and runs for a month. I will definitely (not) be trying that one back to back!
I've finally had a look at the challenge and I know what I'll be doing on the 22nd :biggrin::biggrin: Of all the routes they have thrown in, the only two I haven't done are Randa and Sant Salvador, so I know pretty much what to expect ... It'll keep me busy for 5 hours or so. Of them all it's Puig Major that is the one that 'intimdates' even more so than Sa Calobra. There is nothing particularly 'hard' about any of the cycling on Mallorca, but Major Pig goes on for such a long time, and in the heat of the afternoon, is pretty energy sapping. I think it was that more than anything (well my little off 40Km previous may also have contributed) that made me decide to drop Sa calobra from my Big Daddy Route.

Reactions: djk
Top Bottom