Bike advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron1234

Regular
I haven't rode a bike since I was around 12 I've been inspired by reading about the 39 stone cyclist and I'm considering buying a bike today the falcon radon is the best I can afford and I wondered if at 150 kilo will this bike hold me any advice would be much appreciated reason for getting this bike is its about all I can afford on my catalogue and the catalogue is all I have available with means to a purchase one again all advice much appreciated

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I would only get a mountin bike if you are planning on using it off road. Riding a mountin bike on the road (even with slick tyres) is so demotivating due the large effort required to achieve so little.

PS. Have you considered a hybrid without suspension?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
I would only get a mountin bike if you are planning on using it off road. Riding a mountin bike on the road (even with slick tyres) is so demotivating due the large effort required to achieve so little.
Would this bike.hold me tho ?
And.what kind of bike should I get ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Agreed, mountain bike would be best (steel frame probably the most forgiving on bumps) with a strong set of wheels. Just dont try too many drop offs and jumps! Get used to increasing your cadence which will put more work on the heart but just don't go too hard.
You could consider a bike computer with hr and cadence device.
Some flat routes where you can see your improvement is a good idea.
Best of luck....

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Agreed, mountain bike would be best (steel frame probably the most forgiving on bumps) with a strong set of wheels. Just dont try too many drop offs and jumps! Get used to increasing your cadence which will put more work on the heart but just don't go too hard.
You could consider a bike computer with hr and cadence device.
Some flat routes where you can see your improvement is a good idea.
Best of luck....
Is the falcon radon not a mountain bike then ? And would it hold my weight

ORO

Why not email Falcon and ask them the question? Should be able to contact them via their web site.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Just seen that they state 135kg total. Don't forget that this is for a mtb and would expect a lot of additional force to be loaded through the wheels and frame. If for road use it would still be fine imho.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
At 39 stone. I fear that you will need to have some hand made wheels made for you
Mavic road wheels will do 120kg. Mtb ones should be a lot stronger, and as such if you're not going off road they should be ok for the road. Big tyres also provide for more shock absorption...

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Why not email Falcon and ask them the question? Should be able to contact them via their web site.
I did over 2 weeks ago but no responce and I really want to order and get going so I've come.here for advice

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Is the falcon radon not a mountain bike then ? And would it hold my weight
Yes it is a mtb, just don't use it for any proper off road experiences as you'll probably knacker the wheels. Like I've said, get it for road use. When you've lost a couple of stone the trails are yours to find and you'll be that bit fitter for the uphills.

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Yes it is a mtb, just don't use it for any proper off road experiences as you'll probably knacker the wheels. Like I've said, get it for road use. When you've lost a couple of stone the trails are yours to find and you'll be that bit fitter for the uphills.
Oh I'll only be on roads and nervously avoiding pot holes until I have lost a fair few kilos thanks for your advice I think I'm going to buy it

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Oh I'll only be on roads and nervously avoiding pot holes until I have lost a fair few kilos thanks for your advice I think I'm going to buy it
Good for you, hope it goes well.
You may also want to consider lights, helmet and tools etc to cost in. Padded shorts and some cream for the thighs are also useful (I'm a big lad and the soreness from the chapping can put you off so I use an anti friction gel)
If it gets too much in the deepest winter you can always get a turbo trainer and change the tyres over. Plenty of info on CC on what to buy especially with smart trainers and various league competitions for fun!

Not disagreeing - just noting that the Falcon weighs 19kg?

Perhaps 3/4 of a stone of extra weight, compared to a hybrid in the same price range? With heavy effort-sapping off-road tyres?

Top Bottom