Bike advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Good luck Ron, I hope you grow to love cycling as many of us do.

I was a 20 something in reasonable shape but not exactly 'fit' and cycling for me has been one of the best things in my life for my mental and physical health.

The first little while will be really hard going (it was for me anyway) but stick at it and don't get down if you're not able to go as far or fast as you thought you might.

Could also be worth checking if your local council offer any subsidised bike maintenance or cycling safety courses. I know many in London do, so if you're interested, have a look on your council's website.

Godspeed, Ron
I have to try this and succeed I'm only going to start with a small ride something like half a mile each way I read about the 39 stone cyclist he did it and I'm pretty sure I can too I've bought the radon bike they say it is 135 kilo max but I'm only riding on a road avoiding pot holes etc so I'm hoping it will be fine my house is to small for a exercise bike this is the best choice I have and I will manage it

J1888

Über Member
I have to try this and succeed I'm only going to start with a small ride something like half a mile each way I read about the 39 stone cyclist he did it and I'm pretty sure I can too I've bought the radon bike they say it is 135 kilo max but I'm only riding on a road avoiding pot holes etc so I'm hoping it will be fine my house is to small for a exercise bike this is the best choice I have and I will manage it

You WILL suceed.

Ps as you're getting this delivered, unless you're handy with bikes, you may want to have it assembled properly or safety checked?

simon.r

Person

Good attitude. I wasn’t as heavy as you when I started, but I was significantly overweight. My first half mile ride left me in tatters, but I persevered and lost weight fairly quickly (I did stop eating as much crap as well).

A year or two on and I was doing 20 mile rides and not thinking about it.

Good luck:okay:

boydj

Legendary Member
The important thing for the OP to do now is to establish a regular habit of using the bike, starting with short runs and not pushing hard. Try to build bike use into the lifestyle - a mile or two down to the shops, popping out for a coffee etc. Read up on bikeability to understand how to stay safe on the roads.

I'm in the same boat,i weigh 298lb.Just started out on a turbo trainer,i can only do a few minutes for now. Diet wise iv'e cut out bread,pasta,spuds,rice and refined sugars and anything in a tin,also i weigh everything on digital kitchen scales.Try this forum for keeping a record of diet and training,i find it quite good.http://www.fitday.com/

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
Unfortunately after half assembling the bike I noticed some damage that is making part of the gears grind against the spokes on the wheel so I'm afraid its going to have to go back.
Its a shame I was really looking forward to making a start this weekend

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Unfortunately after half assembling the bike I noticed some damage that is making part of the gears grind against the spokes on the wheel so I'm afraid its going to have to go back.
Its a shame I was really looking forward to making a start this weekend
Is the back wheel correctly positioned in the drop outs?

OP
OP
R

Ron1234

Regular
I reckon its had some sort of impact in transport the wheel waves slightly from side to side the gear cogs do the same I've attached some pictures in my very next to nothing experience I think the silver thing lol has bent inwards causing this I wish I could just take it for repair but I think for what I'm paying it should be delivered perfect

Attachments

• IMG_20171021_090110.jpg
    IMG_20171021_090110.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20171021_090055.jpg
    IMG_20171021_090055.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom