Bike Buying not made Easy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubicon

Morning, and thank you for letting me join. I'm getting on a bit, and looking at getting a comfortable hybrid bike, capable of 60 mile rides a day, speed not too important, as my rides tend to be an all day job. I've been looking at the Boardman HYB 8.9 at 1k in cost and the Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 at 1.75k. Yes I realise there's a big cost difference, but up to 2k is within budget.
Now I've read all the reviews, Halfords build quality may not be that good etc, ( though Stockton seems to have a good reputation from reviews), the snobbery about them not being proper bikes and so on. The one thing they do have though is availability. Stores are local, you can go in and sit on one to get an idea of size and so on.
This is almost impossible with any other brand bike. Try finding the Trek bike in the North East and you're stumped. Same with any other known alternatives, I tried Cube also. Spending that sort of money, I don't want it to be almost right, I want it to be near enough perfect. There's the question of size to start with. I'm 5ft 8ins, which according to Trek is medium, until you come to my inside leg measurement of 29 inches, which makes it possibly small. There are some really good bike stores around, but the chance of them having what you want or even being able to get it is pretty small if you ask me.
I started this exercise of course by reading any articles on best hybrid bikes 2021 but it all seems a bit pointless when most of them, even when you click on the suggested link, don't actually have any stock.
I know Bike shops can't stock everything, but it would be really nice to check one out somewhere and the nearest place seems to be Keswick.
What does anyone else do in these situations, it's not important, I'm not in a hurry, I have a cheap Trek which works fine, but one day soon I'd like to upgrade, and I don't just want to choose the Boardman on availability.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

I can understand your reluctance to buy untried if you are unsure of fit. If Halfords have stock go in and try. Good bikes but some are a bit sniffy over the name.
I'll just throw this into the mix. You might also like to consider Decathlon as their bikes are great VfM and offer a solid warranty. Their models are their up market offering. This one is in stock in M so you could try:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286

Great spec for the money.

Good luck.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Covid supply issues and increased demand has pretty much scuppered stocks of popular models.
If buying remotely, call the shops and ask for advice on sizing?
At 5’8, a 54cm top tube should work especially as you have short legs so presumably longer torso and reach.
See what a medium corresponds to in terms of actual measurements

maybe @Pale Rider can advise on NE LBSs

OP
OP
R

Rubicon

Thanks for the replies guys and I'll check out the recommendations. You're right about supplies, my bad for not thinking of that. Even Halfords have no Boardmans on the shop floor, mail order only. ( Strikes me as really weird, they own the brand now, it's their premium brand, and the shop floor is full of, umm lets just say mostly cheap tat). I'll keep using the trek a little longer I think, see if supplies and shop floor availability get better in the summer, and if not, decide on a bike, and send the store every measurement I've got, as some ask for arm length as well. Like some have said though, I'm tending to medium over small, at least with most makes, the Boardman would be small if memory serves me right. Once again, thanks for the help. Been out of cycling for a good while, but used to be a regular with a good hand built road bike 20 years ago. Like many been getting back into it during current times, up to 52 miles so far even on the Trek FX1

Dan77

60 miles on a hybrid is a long way, especially if it's mostly roads.

I managed 50+ on my cheapo (Trek FX2 disc) hybrid last year in my first few months of cycling but I'm sure if I did that same ride now I have a road bike I would be much quicker. It's not all about speed though and I have yet to test myself over distance outdoors on the road bike so I might find it really uncomfortable.

Trek bikes are good.

I bought a Canyon road bike and am really happy with it. If you're set on a hybrid, they have these in stock in all sizes:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/hybrid-city/citybikes/roadlite/roadlite-7/2784.html

Tend to be good value due to their direct to market model, although prices have increased post-Brexit.

Last edited:
If you have a bike already I'd hang on a few months for when bike shops should be more readily available for shopping.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I was spending 2k on a flatbar I'd get something built in Titanium :okay:

OP
OP
R

Rubicon

Thanks Cougie, I think thats what I'm going to do. No further help needed guys, a lots been explained, and the choice is getting overwhelming.

If you're near Keswick then Alpkit have some great bikes that might suit but I'm not aware of availability. But you're spending a lot. You need to be able to shop around and see the bikes.

I’m local to Stockton.

Stockton
-You have Paul Curran Cycle Sports, has a bit of everything in.
-Skinnergate Cycles (Trek dealer)
-NRG cycles (one in Thornaby and one in Great Ayton)
-the bike rack Yarm (aka edge sports and mainly Giant and Kinesis dealers)

Middlesbrough
-on yer bike
-blue giraffe cycles
-Godleys cycles (nunthorpe)

Darlington
-wheelbase

Guisbrough
-bikescene (Specialized dealer in the main)

Northallerton
-Cowley cycles (Ridley dealer)

Last edited:
Top Bottom