bike caked in s**t

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
No not literally - I dont know about other people but my bike in the space of this week is absolutely filthy :ohmy:

I have just moved the bike from the warm and cosy kitchen to the bike cave in the garden. Im not sure if its a result of being in there but my chain has turned brown with muck and the front rings also have brown crap on them.

What I wanted to know is should I always wipe the bike down before putting it away and is there anything else I should be doing if its going to be in the cold etc? I cant clean the bike everyday so wanted to know whats the best quick routine for when I get in of an evening.

Cheers

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I live in an appartment(and previously in student halls), so obviously I couldnt/cant bring anything in thats ful of muck or dripping with water because thats bye bye deposit for over priced carpet cleaning, so I always used to just wipe my bike down with some kitchen roll to get the thick off in the corridor before taking it into my flat.

Give it a wipe down each time its mucky and then oil the change once a week?

potsy

Rambler
Mine's looking remarkably clean this week,will hopefully be getting it dirty tomorrow:smile:
Chain wipe and re-oil is the main thing,then better clean at weekend maybe.

andyfromotley

i have purchased a cheap bottle brush which has lead to a much cleaner bike, quick once over with warm water, and said brush ... magic,

If you cant wash it, wipe chain. I dont throw ant old clothes away, i keep em, cut em up for rags and use them for wiping chain and bike then bin em, easy.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks all, I will make more of an effort to wipe the chain and that before putting it away. I also noticed some rust spots appearing on the spd's.

Im blaming the misses kicking it outside in the cold, its comming in tonight poor sod get some warmth in those tubes !!.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was just talking about this to my fellow commuting cyclist at work this morning. Both our bikes are caked in gunk. I had to stop during this evenings commute to add a little more lube to the chain as it was making a right old squeaky racket.

potsy

Rambler
My 2 are living in the kitchen in the warm.Mrs not happy but knows they come 1st;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Mine lives in the basement.

Looked at my chain tonight, starting to go rust :| only just cleaned the bugger on sunday. just about to pop out and give it a degrease and added lube.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
potsy said:
Built especially Ian?

;) - yes I squirted some lub on the chain last night and it was pretty silent today but couldnt get over all the salt and brown muck. I got it out this morning and thought it was rust I was going mad untill I wiped a bit off the chain and it came off.

Im still not happy though :biggrin:

Top Bottom