Bike carrier advice for Merc C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LJR

Hello. We're about to go to Devon for a week and would like to attach four bikes (two adult, two children 11 and 8 bikes) to my car which is a Mercedes C Class (registered December 2010). The car has the panoramic sunroof but does have the fixing points for roof bars (so I assume it take them). I am thinking I need a roof rack as opposed to a rear boot carrier of some kind but I've never done this before and so any advice would be great. I looked on a few sites but it's a tad confusing. From what I can work out I'll need a pair of roof bars and then some bike carrier bar for each bike - are they a universal attachment or do I need a bike bar from the same manufacturer of the roof bar? Are roof bars the best option for a saloon with no tow ball?

Absolutely any clear advice would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Trull

Über Member
Looks like you are the other C-Class owner in Cycle-Chat!!!

I've now got the same problem, and think I will battle with Thule's catalog to see what I need. Whatever I get it will have the "remove front wheel and clamp axle to rack" style of fixing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tried using the car finder on roofbox.co.uk?

We've used them on every car we've owned and not been steered wrong yet.

I am thinking I need a roof rack as opposed to a rear boot carrier of some kind but I've never done this before and so any advice would be great.
Definitely my preference - although I've used the rear mounted carriers, I don't like them. Roof carriers are easier, and more secure (plus you can still get in your boot, if you need to).
I looked on a few sites but it's a tad confusing. From what I can work out I'll need a pair of roof bars and then some bike carrier bar for each bike - are they a universal attachment or do I need a bike bar from the same manufacturer of the roof bar?
Roof bars should be a standard fitting - either 32mm rectangular bars, or "T-Track" on an aero bar. We've always used the square bars, and various brands of bike carrier.

Just check the type of bar, and that your carrier choice has the right attachment (in some cases, you need to buy a t-track adapter, for example, for each carrier). Or buy a package from a supplier who sells matching sets of bars and carriers.
Are roof bars the best option for a saloon with no tow ball?
I reckon. When you sell the car, sell on the bars, and just buy new for your next vehicle and use the bike carriers on those. we usually get £40-ish for our old bars, which defrays the cost of the next set a little. Tow ball carriers are very good, but there's a larger initial cost. (£300 - £400ish, vs £150 - £200 ish for roof bars & carriers).

In between uses, we leave the carriers on the bars, and lift the lot off the car for storage.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
According to which, these will fit a C-class with glass roof;

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/roofbars/thule_rapid_system_fixpoint_xt_low_feet_4_no_753/Qx@w,6M4gNax5vN1Yv0vegd3uH@yuPUv2eP8Mb3Tz5@,1Kr8Fee,XJb`6{Pa5f7t (But obviously, double check your vehicle)

Team them with Thule Freerides (or Cruz BICI if you're on a budget). Roofbox will knock some money off, generally, if you buy bars and carriers as a package (and give you matching keys, if you want), and used to offer a small discount for CTC (possibly British Cycling too) members.

We've used the BICI carriers which are ok, but a bit time consuming and somewhat agricultural, the Thule Freeride (which is my personal favourite) and the Atera Giro, which was ok, but clamped the downtube top to bottom (made me worried that it would rub the cables against the paint on the tube).

Last edited:
Top Bottom