Bike choice: best option for riding in Autumnal Yorkshire Wolds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
This is a bit niche but anyway. I'm off to Bridlington in East Yorkshire on the beer on Saturday. Being a sad sort of individual - and living in flattest Norfolk - I thought it would also be a good opportunity to get some decent height gain for a change. So i thought I would get there early and do a longish sort of ride. Planned on Ridewith GPS 40 miles with 4000ft: literally impossible where I come from! Having looked at the roads on Google Earth and considered time of year and weather etc, just wondering which bike to take. Roads (very quiet) seem quite likely to be pretty muddy. Biggest hill will be Hanging Grimston. Not exactly Ventoux but relatively steep and long for someone from Norfolk. So should I take Caadx - 46\36 and 28 on rear with Cx tyres, or should I take road bike - 50/34 plus 32 on rear? Speed is not an issue but getting up hills safely is!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Really depends on your ability to climb and the associated need for a low gear. Only you know this.
Hanging Grimston
Climb Location Height Gain Length Av. grade Max
151 Hanging Grimston (S) E. Yorks 150m 1.6 km 9% 16%

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
I'm OK on my road but that's got better ratios for hills. Would rather take Caadx but just dubious about having less in my arsenal gearwise.

Venod

Eh up
34/32 may be needed on Hanging Grimston, there are a couple of gates on the climb, a lot of the quieter roads have gravel at various places so be careful descending on the corners, CX tyres would be good on the rougher roads but may be a handicap most of the time.

The wolds are a great place for a ride, very little traffic if you stay off the main roads, enjoy your ride and the beer later.

Hanging Grimston Climb on Strava
upload_2017-11-23_19-2-29.png

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Somewhere just east of Millington the WotR crosses flat plains and you find yourself on some lovely ancient lanes, crossing then re-crossing the railway. You get a feeling that you really are following some timeless routes. On those tracks I was glad to be on my Tricross with 32mm tyres but TBH a standard road bike in the group coped just as well.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Depends on how fit you are

36/28 up Hanging Grimstone sounds fine if you're in OK shape (I've never climbed it so I'm relying on the 9% avg, 16% max). I'm no mountain goat but I would probably climb that with 36/26 and save 36/28 for the steep bits

If you're not in OK shape, take the bike with 34/32

Venod

Eh up
Depends on how fit you are

36/28 up Hanging Grimstone sounds fine if you're in OK shape (I've never climbed it so I'm relying on the 9% avg, 16% max). I'm no mountain goat but I would probably climb that with 36/26 and save 36/28 for the steep bits

If you're not in OK shape, take the bike with 34/32

When I suggested 34/32 up Hanging Grimstone I was thinking of setting of on the steep bits after negotiating the gates, but I agree 36/28 should be ok if reasonably in shape.

What's your route plan @grellboy ?

If you are taking the CX and you have the time Wharram Percy is worth a look - a stunning (or in the fog/gloaming very eerie) deserted village site set in a valley with mill pond etc. It's down (and then back up) a steepish gravel track to get to it, so no chance on a road bike this time of year.

The stone monolith at the church in Rudston is also worth a look if you're passing through there.

And +1 for Millington, especially if you have time for a pint at the Gate.

Couldn't you take the CAADX but swap the rear cassettes on your bikes to give yourself a bit more gearage to go at?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Maybe a bit late if you've already set off, but something to watch out for is hedge cuttings :sad: It seems like it's that time of year round here when the farmers take to hedge 'trimming' & i've seen a couple of roads lately strewn with debris :angry: & looks like it's a frosty one this morning too, so take care, the vast majority of roads on the wolds will be untreated

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hope you had a good ride @grellboy - last time I went up Hanging Grimston the 'road' was crumbling, covered in sheep poo & slugs - made grip a bit interesting ...

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Alas! Bloody ice! Thick frost on all the hills of my chosen route! Tried two days and thwarted on both of them! All I managed was 10 miles. Real shame because the area itself would be absolutely perfect. Rolling hills and zero cars.

Top Bottom