Bike cleaning in the winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you don't clean the crud off the bike you can't see how things are faring.
My mate only has the one bike so uses it all year round. One winter he didn't clean his bike after the Sunday ride.
Came back the next Sunday and his lovely shiny mech didn't have the finish it used to. The winter salt had corroded it.

So if you have nice kit - it pays to look after it.

ricknmorty28

After yet another muddy ride yesterday, I can't see the point in doing any proper bike cleaning until spring at least, just a hose pipe wash and basic lube will do.

I don't mean to be a Karren but cleaning your bike is really important if you don't want to have to buy another or pay for a repair anytime soon. I learnt that cleaning bike drivetrain is one of the most important things to do otherwise the lubricant used will mix with the dirt acting as a cutting component. Not cleaning your bike for ages will just make it way less functional in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuyBoden

Guru
I don't mean to be a Karren but cleaning your bike is really important if you don't want to have to buy another or pay for a repair anytime soon. I learnt that cleaning bike drivetrain is one of the most important things to do otherwise the lubricant used will mix with the dirt acting as a cutting component. Not cleaning your bike for ages will just make it way less functional in the long run.

After yet another muddy ride yesterday, I can't see the point in doing any proper bike cleaning until spring at least, just a hose pipe wash and basic lube will do.

I did state in my post "a hose pipe wash and basic lube" is sufficient in the winter months, this seems to work ok for me, I ride 2-3 times a week.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For winter road riding/commute you really don't have to be over the top anal about cleaning. A rag down and relube of the chain after a wet ride will help keep the bike in good order.
That saying, as people on here know me will tell you. I am over the top anal about cleaning my bikes.
👍

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I don't bother much either. SKS Longboard mudguards help my case. Usually, if it looks mucky, a wipe down with an oily rag (or a rag liberally sprayed with WD40/GT85) and a wipe of the chain. If it's really muddy/mucky, I will give it a hose and brush down first. If it's got really wet, I will give the chain a good ragging or proper wash followed by an oiling. Maybe two or three times a year it will get a proper going over, with the wheels removed to get at the inside of the mudguards and other hard to get places, and the cassette and chain removed to give a proper cleaning. I will regrease wheel bearings on at least one of those cleaning jobs too.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I admit to being very anal when it comes to bike cleaning. I'm retired so it's easy to fit in so I fully acknowledge I'm in a good position for this.

I recently watched a YouTube video on cycling and sustainability. One of the points made was keeping the bike clean and all parts correctly maintained contributes to reducing waste etc. by extending their useable life. I'd never considered this aspect before but think it's a good one though the impact is probably negligible.

I've always worked on the basis a clean bike simply performs better.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
My son has an old Gary Fisher mountain bike he uses for all year round for school, it’s kept under cover but is completely neglected. I’ve coated all the exposed fastenings in ACF-50 and about every three months I pump up the tyres, check the brakes and gear change, just spray the bike with G101 cleaner, jet wash it, spray the driveline with chain lube and it looks as good as new.

I recently watched a YouTube video on cycling and sustainability. One of the points made was keeping the bike clean and all parts correctly maintained contributes to reducing waste etc. by extending their useable life. I'd never considered this aspect before but think it's a good one though the impact is probably negligible.
don't think it's negligible to be honest - I can't remember when I last washed/cleaned a bike (well over a decade at the very least) but I keep the drive trains clean/maximum functional.
There's a satisfying simplicity to bikes.
And a smooth/well running bike - whatever sort of bike it is/whatever sort of "level".

freiston

Veteran
. . .One of the points made was keeping the bike clean and all parts correctly maintained contributes to reducing waste etc. by extending their useable life. I'd never considered this aspect before but think it's a good one though the impact is probably negligible.
If you're thinking "environmentally", don't forget to factor in the production, logistics and disposal of chemicals and implements used in the cleaning process, including the water treatment of any tap water used - excessive use of chemicals and cleaning might even offset any benefit of extended useable life 😉 .

Top Bottom