Bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
GT85 is a WD40 company...

https://gt85.co.uk/about-us/

Notxal

Regular
Have a look at Scottolier FS360. Very simple to use, great for the winter and can be washed off with hosepipe or pressure washer

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

Have a look at Scottolier FS360. Very simple to use, great for the winter and can be washed off with hosepipe or pressure washer

Mod edit: link removed.
Do you eat SPAM fritters for tea?

Last edited by a moderator:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I used to use a scottoiler on my motorcycles, however soon got fed up of the faff of setting them up to give the correct amount of oil, cant see any benefit to having one on a bicycle, just wipe with a cloth/sponge sprayed with GT85 to clean and then re lube once the solvent has evaporated off

Notxal

Regular
Scottoiler FS365 is not a Oiling system but a water based corrosion resistant surface protection system. It's formulated using mild alkalis and chemical compounds known as pH buffers that work to balance out the acidic elements. The sprayed surfaces are protected against salt and other contaminants. Ideal for winter use and does not leave a sticky residue.

BigMeatball

A few weeks ago I made the rookie mistake of washing the bike with soapy water, which is fine per se, but I also lightly washed the chain, big mistake. Obviously forgot to wipe it dry, then didn't touch the bike for some time because of sucky weather.

Surprise surprise! The chain started to get rusty. It got all dry and the chain links would get stuck on some of the front chainrings. Basically unrideable.

Fast forward to today, got myself some products (muc off drivetrain cleaner, wd-40 chain wet lube, parktool chain cleaner tool and solvent) and cleaned/lubed the chain the best I could

Results are pretty good I have to say, better than expected. The cassette is still a bit dirty but that's because I was out of clean cloth and out of time. Particularly pleased with the chain; even after washing and lubing it, some links were still stuck so had to move them about by hand until they got loosened up.

Lesson learned from today: buy plastic gloves :laugh:

Attachments

• cleaner chain 1.jpg
    cleaner chain 1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom