Bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Welcome Matt. We all ride machines in the form of beautiful bikes but they are still machines. All machinery benefits from and works better as a result of good maintenance. I’m retired now and have plenty of time for bike cleaning but when I worked my routine after a ride is below.

My top tip is to spend some time getting your chain, rear cassette, chain rings and jockey wheels spotlessly clean. Get off every bit of dirt. Invest in a quality lube suitable for the conditions and apply very sparingly. If you do this and clean as below your drive chain will run very smoothly, last longer and be simple to keep clean. Check the “Mickle method” and adapt to your own situation. Quality lubes are great value if used correctly and sparingly - my current bottles are 2-3 years old.

1. Wipe chain thoroughly to remove dirt
2. Spray bike with hose or garden sprayer.
3. Bucket of hot, soapy water. I use car shampoo but anything will do - it’s not in contact with the bike long enough to do harm.
4. Rinse thoroughly
5. Bounce bike gently a few times to shake off water
6. Have shower myself then back to bike
6. Wipe down with dry cloth
7. Lube as needed
8. Clean rims with small amount of white spirit. You’ll be amazed at the oil gunk which comes off!!

The actual bike cleaning shouldn’t take more than 15-20 minutes or less. I always did the washing before getting changed myself. If I showered first I tended to ignore the bike.

Every 4-6 weeks spend a couple of hours on a very thorough degrease and clean. At this point make sure the drive chain is spotless again. Polish the bike carefully. I use Mr Sheen but many other products work.

Start with a clean bike and it’s quick and easy to keep it clean.

OP
OP
M

Matt49

Ok, yes hose pipe is used.

OP
OP
M

Matt49

Thanks for all your replies guys, I will reread these again until I fall into some form of cleaning habit! Trying to get out today, so hard though, want the summer!

I feel guily now of neglected , I am sorry to say I dont bother much with all this cleaning stuff, having a MTB if it gets too muddy I leave it out in the rain and let nature do the job, when the chain get too grungy I just pull it through a Muc-Off chain cleaner. And give it a good service once every 3 month or4 months or so. Now and then when the frame looks a little sparkling I spray it with Household Mr Sgeene wax which seem to help the crap fall of easly.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A new innovation for me......

Back from a cold, damp and salty ride on best bike (problem with the winter bike). Took my water bottle inside and filled it up with fairly warm water. Then proceeded to squirt it all over the drivechain and also the bits that had got a bit muddy. Took a couple of bottles to do it but v fast and, I suspect, a reasonable way to quickly get the salt off as the warm water jet is easy to aim

Left it outside to dry for an hour or two. Then back inside and a quick wipe of the chain with a rag to get moisture off. Job done

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Took my water bottle inside and filled it up with fairly warm water. Then proceeded to squirt it all over the drivechain and also the bits that had got a bit muddy. Took a couple of bottles to do it but v fast and, I suspect, a reasonable way to quickly get the salt off as the warm water jet is easy to aim

Left it outside to dry for an hour or two. Then back inside and a quick wipe of the chain with a rag to get moisture off. Job done

This is what I do with my commute bike when I get to work. Quick wash down with the bottle and given a good raggin'

Top Bottom