Bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Matt49

So my efforts so far have been to extract the most lazy advice out of all your comments. Get home, hose down bike, bounce it around, wipe down with cloth, put back in shed lol! Question though, am I not hosing off the GT Oil that I sprayed on the cranks, chain and derailer (?) before my ride so then I have to respray next time or is the stuff water resistant?

Complete change of subject but I'd like a trainer road. I looked online on amazon and felt like I was putting my head in a lions mouth. I just want something cheap to plonk my back wheel in and 'talks' to strava? Should I start a new thread?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So my efforts so far have been to extract the most lazy advice out of all your comments. Get home, hose down bike, bounce it around, wipe down with cloth, put back in shed lol! Question though, am I not hosing off the GT Oil that I sprayed on the cranks, chain and derailer (?) before my ride so then I have to respray next time or is the stuff water resistant?
Yeah, you should probably use a water disperser like GT85 on those bits after washing, then mickle it before the next ride. If you do nothing else, water disperser and wipe after each wet ride, else the chain can rust near-solid more quickly than I think.

Complete change of subject but I'd like a trainer road. I looked online on amazon and felt like I was putting my head in a lions mouth. I just want something cheap to plonk my back wheel in and 'talks' to strava? Should I start a new thread?
Yes, new thread, then your questions might get spotted by people who like that but don't want to discuss bike cleaning.

mjr

Mattk50

MattK50
Is this wrong? I'm hosing down and drying off after each ride then spraying the chain and cranks with GT85 to lubricate and stop the chain from rusting.

mjr

Is this wrong? I'm hosing down and drying off after each ride then spraying the chain and cranks with GT85 to lubricate and stop the chain from rusting.
I'd keep the water off the chain and bearings and use the mickle method, but as you can see from above, others disagree.

I also use a wax car wash rather than plain water, hoping that at least some crud will fail to breach the wax.

I don't think anyone's done robust independent experiments on this, so let a thousand snake oil flowers bloom! :laugh:

Mattk50

MattK50
Ok so order is hose (not too violently) and brush, degrease (Except chain), wipe down, lube using mickle method . My lube is a dry one, do I need a wet one? Its ridiculously expensive as well. Any cheaper recommendations?

Tin Pot

Guru

If you’re riding every other day, it’s pointles getting precious about it - I’d say your doing ok.

I wouldn’t even hose mine down, just wipe the chain and rims, maybe oil or spray the cassette.

The funny thing is that through months of it, the bike will be fine. But leave it in the shed for a month and the thing will look like it’s ready for the tip(!)

(See the links in my sig for more)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ok so order is hose (not too violently) and brush, degrease (Except chain), wipe down, lube using mickle method . My lube is a dry one, do I need a wet one? Its ridiculously expensive as well. Any cheaper recommendations?

First as I’ve previously suggested get the whole drive chain seriously clean.

For riding every other day I would:

1. Wipe chain to remove all gunky muck.

2. Hose down after every ride at whatever pressure comes out of the tap when a finger is placed over hose mouth. You cannot possibly do damage.

3. Bounce bike a few times and dry off.

4. Wipe the rims with white spirit till nothing shows on the rag - you’ll be amazed at how much oily residue comes off.

At weekend, presuming you’re working, wash with hot soapy water, rinse and dry. Clean thoroughly when you get the chance. I’d only degrease when I’ve time to get the bike really clean.

Two main points are to keep the drive chain clean and hose off salt, mud, etc. Ten minutes at most.

mjr

I managed to get grit inside the rear hub dust cover on Saturday. I can hear it grinding when the wheel spins. I'll be stripping that wheel down this evening to remove it :cursing:

Mattk50

MattK50
Is lubing the chain enough lubrication for the entire drive chain? Doesn't the cassette need oiling as well? I noticed my chain although gleaming yesterday had a bit of rust on the outsides of it :-/

Top Bottom