Bike cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is lubing the chain enough lubrication for the entire drive chain? Doesn't the cassette need oiling as well? I noticed my chain although gleaming yesterday had a bit of rust on the outsides of it :-/
Just the chain is enough. The lube in the chain will also lube the cassette.
Surface rust on chains is no problem. Use a rag to regularly wipe the chain of crap and excess lube. That'll do ya.

si_c

Guru
I commute around 30 miles a day at the moment, just over half that is on filthy country roads or tracks covered in sheep sh1t. The other half is dual carriageway, which throws up salt and other crap.

I wipe the chain down when I get in from work and am just hosing down and washing at the weekend - nothing serious just a bucket of soapy water and the hose. Bike seems to be doing ok, but it's going to need a deep clean come spring, not done one since I got it.

Alan O

Über Member
I'd planned a ride of about 25 miles yesterday, but I managed to twist my knee quite painfully on Saturday so that was off. Instead, I put some of the time to good use cleaning my tourer and MTB (which I've ridden a couple of times each this month).

I hosed down the frames and wheels and any other bits covered in mud/crud, using a stiff brush to get it all off, and wiped the chains and wheel rims with a rag. I left the bikes to drip dry briefly, and then sprayed the drive chains with GT85 to dispel water. Before I go out on each next time, I'll put a little TF2 oil on the chain. Only about half an hour in all, and time well spent.

I do a fuller clean of chains a couple of times a year, by taking them off (they have quick links) and soaking/cleaning in white spirit.

I never buy fancy cleaning products - if I need soap, washing up liquid is fine. And I stock up on GT85 whenever Aldi is selling it cheap, or I get WD40 whenever it's going cheap at my local weekend market - I don't think I've ever paid more than £2 for a 400ml can.

Mattk50

MattK50
Whats the point of GT85 or WD40 as a water dispeller? Surely, after drying down your bike and leaving it a few minutes then all the water has gone anyway right?

Whats the point of GT85 or WD40 as a water dispeller? Surely, after drying down your bike and leaving it a few minutes then all the water has gone anyway right?
Never use WD40 ( except the bike specific stuff ), on a bicycle chain. It’s viscous and sticky, and will just trap dirt, which will become like a grinding paste on your sprockets, chainrings, and chain.

si_c

Guru
WD40 is great at getting rid of water from pivots, or along a brake line, but it's a light lube in an aerosol solvent so will attract dirt and grime to a chain or simply wash out really quickly so you're better off using a proper lubricant or some form of light machine oil.

Nothing wrong with it per-se, but it has it's limitations. I regularly squirt a bit down my brake and gear lines to help keep water out.

WD40 is great at getting rid of water from pivots, or along a brake line, but it's a light lube in an aerosol solvent so will attract dirt and grime to a chain or simply wash out really quickly so you're better off using a proper lubricant or some form of light machine oil.

Nothing wrong with it per-se, but it has it's limitations. I regularly squirt a bit down my brake and gear lines to help keep water out.
It’s great for any bits that aren’t metal on metal, or don’t move much, but it’s really not a great idea to use it in place of a proper lube.

Alan O

Über Member
It’s great for any bits that aren’t metal on metal, or don’t move much, but it’s really not a great idea to use it in place of a proper lube.
Definitely not as a replacement for a lube, no. I made that mistake many years ago and was plagued by dirty chains for ages until I worked out what the problem was.

Alan O

Über Member
I thought GT85 and WD40 were similar? So GT85 is ok as a spray after washing including on the chain before lubing?
They are similar, but GT85 has some kind of Teflon stuff added to it which sounds like a good thing, and WD40 does seem to dry out leaving a stickier residue. I use GT85 on my chain frequently to dispel water (including after I've come home in the rain) as I hate leaving chains wet and open to rust, and then use a simple bike oil to lightly relube afterwards. And my chains stay clean, rust-free, and smooth-running.

ChrisEyles

Guru
WD40 is a water displacer first and foremost (I've always assumed that's what WD stands for - anyone know if this is right?). Better than nothing but it all evaporates away leaving little protection. It's also a great solvent, so good for cleaning stuff with, but can dissolve out other grease/oil that would be better off left on the chain or in bearings etc. Not ideal for bikes if it's the only thing you use, but certainly has it's uses.

I don't personally find GT85 that much better for bikes if used by itself for the chain/cassette, but do use it to squirt into cable inners where it's tricky to get light oil in (which I use for preference everywhere I can easily apply it).

Top Bottom