Bike components - return to "normal" prices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it going to happen?
Am shocked at the boost in prices of even 9 speed stuff.
Luckily have lots of stocks so am in no rush to buy anything at the moment - sitting it out.
Do folks reckon things will improve?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't see a return to prices of old, Brexit and inflation will see to that. I do expect availability to get much better by the end of the year and then prices will fall as demand is met, but certainly not back to the days of old. I don't think I have ever bought a Shimano component for anything more than 60% of RRP, so I am holding out for as long as possible.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree with Milkfloat, we're not going to see prices go back to what they were. Reduce slightly, perhaps, but not recede back to some historic figure.
Think of it from the manufacturer and retailer's point of view, they really, really like money. (And why wouldn't they, it's the key reason why they're in business). They've put prices up when they've had to, understandably, to pass on their extra costs to the consumer because to do otherwise is business suicide. But when their costs go down, the nice byproduct is that their profits have now increased without them even raising prices. Why would they then want to reduce their suddenly healthier profit margins?

Look at petrol retailers, they've been doing this for decades; Oil price goes up 20%, they put their petrol prices up by at least enough to cover that. Oil price then comes down, but they keep petrol at the same price for a while, and then only reduce it by a few percent eventually to stay under the radar and perhaps not be the target for riotous mobs. Petrol never goes back to "what it was" even when the oil price goes below "what it was".
Bike parts manufacturers and retailers will very much like the current prices and demand, and they won't need any real encouragement to now see those prices as anything but the norm.

Oh and yes, Brexit has played a big part, ushering in a new era of Norway prices on UK wages.

And will Andrew get his titles back? Not a chance.
I blame brexit.
And the pandemic.
And Johnson.
And Novak.

Is tubeless better value now?

Whatabout helmets - anyone seen a good deal?

And should we clean our chains more often?

What is a good durable tyre (as they're costing so much more now)?

Will anyone understand this post? Or even read this far ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ask me next year.

I have a spare new chain, fitted new tyres 6 months ago. Probably not going to need to buy anything for a year or more. Maybe brake blocks.

Top Bottom