Bike components that you hate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Mirrors

Absolutely pants unless you fettle your own

simongt

Guru
All those extra gears we never had back in the day

Nothing wrong with 5 or 6
Oh yes. Which is why I changed one bike's 21 speed derailleur for a 5 speed Sturmey and another 24 speed for an 8 speed Sturmey. :thumbsup: Just didn't use even half the gears available - ! When I were lad, anyone with a five speed derailleur road bike was the subject of envy and hate in equal measure. And anyone with a ten speed was simply envied and hated at a level only to be imagined - !:rofl:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oh yes. Which is why I changed one bike's 21 speed derailleur for a 5 speed Sturmey and another 24 speed for an 8 speed Sturmey. :thumbsup: Just didn't use even half the gears available - ! When I were lad, anyone with a five speed derailleur road bike was the subject of envy and hate in equal measure. And anyone with a ten speed was simply envied and hated at a level only to be imagined - !:rofl:
What about when 12 came in :cursing:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The transparent chain guard that came with my hybrid. It rattled, got in the way of doing any work on the gears, and gathered oil splashes on the inside that looked horrible but couldn't be cleaned without dismantling the thing.

Finally I removed it (which involved taking the BB out) and got rid.

Levo-Lon

Guru
They could be something that came with the bike, or something you bought afterwards. But what have you had on your bike that has made you think 'well, this is crap'.

For me, it's the Yksion Elite tyres that came with my Road Pro Carbon SLR. In terms of 'performance' I can't see how they're any better than the Vittoria Zaffiro ones that came with the old bike.

The main bug bear is the lack of seemingly any puncture protection. The bike they're on is my good one so I'm not riding it that often but I reckon about 1 puncture every 50 miles at least.

What bike part has really wound you up?

I wont have aything i cant pronounce..wtf Is a yksion

bpsmith

Veteran
I love it when people say that they don’t use half of the gears on their bike. Isn’t that the point though?

Use upper section of cassette with inner ring and the lower section with the outer ring surely?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All those extra gears we never had back in the day

Nothing wrong with 5 or 6
If you live in Northamptonshire ...
... or Norwich! :whistle: :laugh:

Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom