Bike Computer Revisited..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Just spent and hour doing research on here and a lot of threads are there with infomation on bike computers but alot of the threads are going back almost a year... so in view of that here is my question.
Those of you that have bought new bike computer in the last year, have you been happy with it..
I want to get one in the next couple of weeks on are visit to the UK and was just wondering how things have gone with the new bits of kit.

What are you looking for (i should get paid for this) SPECIALIZED SPEED ZONE ELITE CADENCE COMPUTER £15 includes speed,avg sp,max sp,time,cadence avg cadence, max cadence, temp, and time in a good clear display and can display different info always shows speed, but the other two lines can show different info.
Just got a Bryton Rider 35 yesterday, early criticism might be lack of memory but that might be how I have been playing around with it.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Nigel..
I was looking at the wireless type as I dont want cable's every where but from the posts I've read the cable one's seem better? but wireless would be my choice.
Not too complicated if poss.. Speed, ave speed, cadence, time and temp would just about do it, I'm not too bothered on price but I dont want to go mad..
Basic functions but good quality I think.. a bit like Ronseal... it does what is says on the tin.
I will go to Evanscycles at Lakeside to get the bits I need..

Nigel..
I was looking at the wireless type as I dont want cable's every where but from the posts I've read the cable one's seem better? but wireless would be my choice.
Not too complicated if poss.. Speed, ave speed, cadence, time and temp would just about do it, I'm not too bothered on price but I dont want to go mad..
Basic functions but good quality I think.. a bit like Ronseal... it does what is says on the tin.
I will go to Evanscycles at Lakeside to get the bits I need..
What you have to bare in mind with wireless one is you need to replace the batteries in the sensors, not difficult just something to bear in mind.
I have to go wireless when I get the cadence for the bryton, though that will be a few months yet I think, so I will run the other one along side till then.

Have just bought one of these which, due to the cadence function it has, replaces my Cateye Strada Wireless. No problems fitting it and I like it a lot. I wanted something ideally that would measure both cadence and speed/distance from the rear wheel, as I will be using my bike on the indoor turbo. BUT, only the Cateye Strada Double Wireless fits this bill, is expensive and unlike the VDO I bought below, only has current cadence without average and maximum. Very happy so far, but if you don't need cadence the Cateye Strada (single) Wireless that I replaced is also an excellent option.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&docid=8065298994590710904&ved=0CCkQgwgwAQ&url=http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31897/VDO-X1-DW-Cadence-Cycle-Computer.html?referrer=froogle1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid31897&ei=xB5RUILlHaqX1AWdxIHYAg&usg=AFQjCNFu7DRyEJpNXeCFeXN3IQ9PBZrHyg

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Have just bought one of these which, due to the cadence function it has, replaces my Cateye Strada Wireless. No problems fitting it and I like it a lot. I wanted something ideally that would measure both cadence and speed/distance from the rear wheel, as I will be using my bike on the indoor turbo. BUT, only the Cateye Strada Double Wireless fits this bill, is expensive and unlike the VDO I bought below, only has current cadence without average and maximum. Very happy so far, but if you don't need cadence the Cateye Strada (single) Wireless that I replaced is also an excellent option.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&docid=8065298994590710904&ved=0CCkQgwgwAQ&url=http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31897/VDO-X1-DW-Cadence-Cycle-Computer.html?referrer=froogle1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid31897&ei=xB5RUILlHaqX1AWdxIHYAg&usg=AFQjCNFu7DRyEJpNXeCFeXN3IQ9PBZrHyg[/quote]

What is an indoor turbo.. never heard of one of those , is it like a treadmill..

PS.. I like the look of the VDO -X1

Yep, you can use Kms and be careful to make sure, if you need cadence that is, that the version you buy comes with the cadence kit.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The Sigma 1909 is a good piece of kit.

With winter approaching - one thing to watch out for with wireless sensors is signal interference from the front lights.

We are very lucky in the winter over here as it dont get dark till 6.30 ish in the evening and I will be home long before then if I have gone out for a ride... I dont use it for work.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The daylight hours are a bit odd over here..
Summer daybreak is 7 o'clock and evening sunset is about 10 ish..
Winter daybreak is 8 o'clock and evening sunset ia about 6.30 ish
But as we are on the north side of the mountains even though its light we dont see the sun in summer till 8.30 ish some two hours later.. :smile:

Top Bottom