bike events. helmets compulsary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
after having rode a few "Bike Events" charity rides this year and looking forward to 2013's callander I've noticed that they now have a compulsary helmet wearing policy. I'm dissapointed as helmets are not compulsary in uk. I can only think that they have shot themselves in the foot as i will be riding the route helmetless but because of their policy I cannot pay to participate. oh dear! any thoughts?

snorri

Legendary Member
Send the organiser and the charity emails telling them why you will be unable to give them your support this year.:thumbsup:

Do the ride however you like, (public roads after all), and donate your entry fee directly to a charity of your choice.

It's a win win because nothing that you you pay Bike Events goes to charity anyway, they want/expect you to raise money yourself as well as paying them.

This is the reason I won't pay Bike Events another penny.

I stopped organising the Scouts Charity Bike rides each year because of the helmet policy and the need to exclude some participants. Their income is now down about 25% each year

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
In the late 80s I used to raise £100+ in sponsorship for the Great Notts Bike Ride....until the year when Headway was one of the selected charities, and they persuaded the organisers to make helmets compulsory. Haven't entered since.

PS. In the local Headway charity shop in Mapperley is a poster apparently suggesting that kids will be OK bouncing off a 30mph car with their head if they are wearing a helmet! I appreciate that Headway do sterling work with brain injury sufferers, but .....

OP
OP
oilyormo

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
had an e mail from "bike events" explaining (as i thought) that its an insurance issue.
Their insurers insist on compulsory helmet wearing.
This is the nanny state we're creating with this "where theres blame theres a claim" culture.
Soon we wont be able to walk the streets without helmets and elbow and knee pads and flourescent clothing, flashing led's on your 'ed

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do the ride however you like, (public roads after all), and donate your entry fee directly to a charity of your choice.

It's a win win because nothing that you you pay Bike Events goes to charity anyway, they want/expect you to raise money yourself as well as paying them.

This is the reason I won't pay Bike Events another penny.
This, absolutely.
Charities get a fraction of what they should because people pay to ride and give nowt to the charity.

I think we should pitch-up to a few events en-masse and helmetless .....

Licramite

Über Member
I stopped organising the Scouts Charity Bike rides each year because of the helmet policy and the need to exclude some participants. Their income is now down about 25% each year

to be fair - its not a helmets are right thing , it's a personnel liability thing. - the event organizer must get insurance as he is personal liable - ad it's probably an insurance stipulation.

for years we used to a flaming torch lite parade for bonfire. - once the personnel liability came in and the fire brigade threw their hands up horror - even though no-one had ever been injured - we had to stop it.

and so your actually protesting about insurance policy, not helmets

No I am protesting about unfounded exclusion

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Insurance will be no more than 3rd party for the riders and public liability for the organisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom