bike events. helmets compulsary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
do you know how many bikes are on the road on an average day ? - (the number of bike owners was actually irrelevant its bikes on the road at any one time.)
but (again I don't know the figure) if an average bike ride by each person on the road is say 5km - thats on average 10 serious injuries a day based on 1 per 1000,000km cycled.

doesn't sound so good now does it.
the figure for London is one death per 18,000,000 miles cycled.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ooh, that's quite scary if you're right. You plus 74 friends who have a similar cycling lifestyle, and one of you will buy the ranch.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ooh, that's quite scary if you're right. You plus 74 friends who have a similar cycling lifestyle, and one of you will buy the ranch.
At some time between the ages of 20 and 65. That's about the same as if they were all high-mileage drivers. (And I suspect Adrian's figures are out by something approaching a factor of 10.)

(This over-simplistic analysis neglects any secular changes in risk and any risk factors specific to Adrian or his friends.)

Drago

Legendary Member
Not Adrian wrong, surely? This has rocked the Foundation of my very belief in humanity. I mean, if you can't trust Adrian's advice on physics or statistics, then who can you trust? :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I think they should've have fined him as that's what their law prescribes, but I suspect mummy and daddy may have moaned about that as well. In all scenarios someone would've bitched, so I guess they were thinking they might as well have some fun and teach Johnny a lesson.

When I joined the dibble I caught the tail end of the real old school, last of the pre-PACE coppers, and I've seen them do a lot worse to a Johnny Spottiebum with no lights, such as slash their tyres and other unpleasantness, and in Oz they don't have PACE or an equivalent ( in Oz if you're nicked you better go guilty or you'll fall down the stairs) and as a consequence they have a very high convcition rate cos people are quick to cough to any minor offence as quickly as the can for their own health. In all, Johnny didn't get off too badly at all for Oz.

avalon

Guru
and in Oz they don't have PACE or an equivalent ( in Oz if you're nicked you better go guilty or you'll fall down the stairs) and as a consequence they have a very high convcition rate cos people are quick to cough to any minor offence as quickly as the can for their own health. In all, Johnny didn't get off too badly at all for Oz.
All I can say is, Johnny was lucky he wasn't black.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, some of that culture is still alive and well doon there. Likely here too, though I can honestly say I've not seen it myself. Well, only from the public!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Although miraculously the conclusion, that about 10 cyclists per day are seriously injured, is about right (follow the link to road.CC that I posted). But 10 out of 2,000,000 is not many, and "seriously injured" doesn't necessarily involve life-changing injuries.

Spot on. The conflation of killed or seriously injured (ie KSI) is utter nonsense.

Last July I foolishly rode over wet metal car park decking. Dabbed the brake and went down like a felled oak breaking my hip and collar bone. Hip pinned under GA and six days as an inpatient.

Six months later I am, apart from a residual limp, fully recovered. I was never anywhere near dead.

Licramite

Über Member
not really , of the the seriously injured - which you were definately one , breaking a hip is pretty serious, - you could expect to have 3 with major injuries that will effect them for the rest of there lives - like a residual limp.
which you may loose in a year or so, but can come back to bite you in the butt in later in life.
(like my dodgey back as result of parachuting.- sins of my youth are catching up with me)
But of course its all luck in the end, you could have had exactly the same fall and walked away, shacken not sturred. you were just unlucky that time.
good to hear you recovered fully and are back pounding the pedals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom