bike events. helmets compulsary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
ok 107 dead, - the normal ratio to Kia is 1-3 wia so thats 300+ seriously injured -

well my advice (actually your advice as the risk is so minor) don't have lights , wear black, cycle at night , wear headphones and ignore all traffic around you and road signs and traffic laws

you will be just fine.

Alun

Guru
ok 107 dead, - the normal ratio to Kia is 1-3 wia so thats 300+ seriously injured -

well my advice (actually your advice as the risk is so minor) don't have lights , wear black, cycle at night , wear headphones and ignore all traffic around you and road signs and traffic laws

you will be just fine.
That maybe your advice, but it's not mine, I don't know where you get it from!
Perhaps from the same place that you got the 200 cyclists killed last year?
I'm not even going to ask about your "calculations" for the number seriously injured.

Licramite

Über Member
That maybe your advice, but it's not mine, I don't know where you get it from!
Perhaps from the same place that you got the 200 cyclists killed last year?
I'm not even going to ask about your "calculations" for the number seriously injured.

sorry didn't mean you, I was on about srw. - the calc is a fairly standard formula for battle cas. 1 - 3 - 6 Kia - wia - walking wounded.
I think the 200 is an american fig, but I could be wrong. - (probably am)

It's interesting they focus on dead not injured - many with very life changing injuries. - keeps the figures down.

Licramite

Über Member
a good question, and one that you won't get an answer to. My guess is........a lot.

it's cheaper to push helmets and personnel kit than try and sort out the roads and cycle paths

forcing people to wear them at events if not an insurance issue is more likely a local authority health and safety officer in there somewhere, I haven't done a bike event but we had to submit a risk assessment for the bonfire - and HSO's can be bonkers, had many a run in on buildings with them - and they can be a law unto themselves.

Licramite

Über Member
how many people own bikes in this country ? lets say its a 100,000 - out of 65million thats not to high.
1000,000km / 365 days = 2740km per day - div by number cyclists on the road in a day ? - lets say 5000 nationally - 0.54km. per person - and we have 1 serious injury
and my average ride is 60km - I think I'm getting the armoured underwear.:laugh:

to be fair srw - they are interesting articles - and you do have a point about real and perceived danger - on the wrong site i think as this is about compulsion for cycling events - that has nothing to do with actual safety , more about stupid rules and perceptions by people in fear of being sued.

Licramite

Über Member
do you know how many bikes are on the road on an average day ? - (the number of bike owners was actually irrelevant its bikes on the road at any one time.)
but (again I don't know the figure) if an average bike ride by each person on the road is say 5km - thats on average 10 serious injuries a day based on 1 per 1000,000km cycled.

doesn't sound so good now does it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2225845 said:
Or we could use a real figure, unless just making one up is more fun for you.
IIRC there are about 2,000,000 regular cyclists, defined as people who ride more than once a month.

So a regular cyclist has a 1 in 700 chance of a serious injury each year, or 1 in 25,000 each day. And a "serious" injury has a very wide definition.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_or_Seriously_Injured

Compare that with the risk of heart disease and it's silly to describe cycling as risky.

Alun

Guru
do you know how many bikes are on the road on an average day ? - (the number of bike owners was actually irrelevant its bikes on the road at any one time.)
but (again I don't know the figure) if an average bike ride by each person on the road is say 5km - thats on average 10 serious injuries a day based on 1 per 1000,000km cycled.

doesn't sound so good now does it.
It doesn't, but as you've just completely made up 3 of the variables, the result is fairly meaningless.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Although miraculously the conclusion, that about 10 cyclists per day are seriously injured, is about right (follow the link to road.CC that I posted). But 10 out of 2,000,000 is not many, and "seriously injured" doesn't necessarily involve life-changing injuries.

To take two specific examples of "serious injury" I know of recently: Greg Collins was "seriously injured" because he was concussed when he fell off in Buckinghamshire. A month later he rode 800 miles North inside a week. And my favourite stoker, the delightful and very lovely rvw, was "seriously injured" (cracked rib, one day off work) because A & E were too busy to process her inside 4 hours, so she had to be admitted as an inpatient.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well, I have to doff my cycling cap to the YMCA, who didn't mind at all that I completed the 500km ride to Amsterdam without a helmet. In the pre-ride bumpf, it was "recommended" but not mandatory. IIRC, there were three of us out of c.25 who were helmetless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom