bike events. helmets compulsary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Or if a fellow rider negligently knocks you off you'll be less badly injured.

e-rider

crappy member
if you don't like wearing a helmet and you don't like the way bike-events are organising their events then don't ride them - simple!

I've always found bike-events to be a reasonable customer focused company

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What a shame. I have enjoyed doing the bike events rides a fair few times over the years but I refuse to be forced to wear a helmet.
I did the Blackpool and M/cr100 in 2012 and payed the entry fees but will just default to doing the non-paying bootleg version in future if I want to take part :sad:.

avalon

Guru
Here in Australia helmets are a legal requirment on roads or cycle tracks and many people, including cyclists, get very angry with anyone who chooses not to obey the rules. It may not be long before the UK suffers the same restrictions on choice.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think the twin mythology of Cycling is dangerous and Helmets will always protect you, especially in the light of the tosh being dished out by the BBC recently, amongst the non cyclist community and risk averse/risk management industry leads to decisions which look superficially sensible to those on the outside but can be counter intuitive to many regular cyclists that have looked and read a bit deeper.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Here in Australia helmets are a legal requirment on roads or cycle tracks and many people, including cyclists, get very angry with anyone who chooses not to obey the rules. It may not be long before the UK suffers the same restrictions on choice.
More fool those Aussies who get angry. Save your ire for those who don't understand risk.

avalon

Guru
I got into a discussion about it on an Australian cycling forum a few months ago and the moderators put a stop to it. That's how uptight people are about it here.

Licramite

Über Member
I can understand why Australia's gone that way - it is very prescriptive on health and safety - certainly found this in the construction industry , they are very much like Britain in it's attitude to rules , you obey them. - and its cops are hot. not much lea way there. - can also understand why people are pissed at it.

I would have though Heat Stroke would be more a problem than head injuries. - it's predicted 40 in perth according to my australian mates.

oh dear! any thoughts?

yes - just wear a helmet and do the ride. Or don't wear a helmet and don't do it.

after having rode a few "Bike Events" charity rides this year and looking forward to 2013's callander I've noticed that they now have a compulsary helmet wearing policy. I'm dissapointed as helmets are not compulsary in uk. I can only think that they have shot themselves in the foot as i will be riding the route helmetless but because of their policy I cannot pay to participate. oh dear! any thoughts?

I'd stay well away from the route on that day. I'm not sure why you'd want to be there. It's affected you enough to post on this forum, so why ride alongside them and rub your own nose in it further?

There are things to get riled by, but I'm not sure this is one of them. I'm not sure how a helmet policy affects your ability to pay, so your not paying may be a matter of unwillingness more than it is of inability. I'd make that clear and stay well away from the route.

I rarely wear a helmet, but I do when I'm doing an event that requires one. I haven't died from it to date.

I imagine they are happy with their decision. I'm sorry you're not, but these things happen.

The appropriate participle in your first sentence is 'ridden'.

billy1561

BB wrecker
We are ruled by rules in the UK. I always wear a helmet, its my choice, but i would not be in favour of them being compulsory. As a cyclist i absolutely believe that helmet wearing should be the choice of the cyclist. It doesn't impact an any other person than themselves whether they wear a helmet or not.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I find it odd to say the least. The police have ensured the kid has to walk home for his own safety. And by taking that action they have potentially compromised his safety. Mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom