bike events. helmets compulsary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a interesting case in Australia where the Judge agreed that the evidence in favour of helmets was insufficient and that the individual's belief that helmets could cause her injury was reasonable

He then overturned her conviction.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
after having rode a few "Bike Events" charity rides this year and looking forward to 2013's callander I've noticed that they now have a compulsary helmet wearing policy. I'm dissapointed as helmets are not compulsary in uk. I can only think that they have shot themselves in the foot as i will be riding the route helmetless but because of their policy I cannot pay to participate. oh dear! any thoughts?

You are in the minority I think, most event organiser won't give a monkeys funt wether you participate or not. Many other riders will wear a helmet and enjoy the event. You are the one missing out as you won't be part of the event, even though you may ride it, you won't feel included. Of course that may not be important to you.

Its entirely possible that the organisers may not be allowed to put on the event by local authorities or by insurance companies without making helmet wearing compulsory. Why don't you just wear a helmet for the events, and don't wear it for the rest of your riding. No one cares about wether you wear a helmet except you. Someone once said to me "get over yourself" when I made a big fuss about something insignificant, may I offer that you take the same advice?

Wear a helmet for the event, the organisers, the charities, the sponsors AND you, all win.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's the creeping compulsion that concerns people, and with compulsion there could be many losers.

I understand, but I tend not to worry about things that have not happened, and may not happen. If helmet wearing becomes compulsory in law, nothing will happen other than more people will wear helmets, no big deal. It may vex a few people for a while, but it wont stop them riding with or without a helmet.

Folk caused a fuss in the 70's when motorcycle helmet wearing became compulsory, it didn't stop people riding motorbikes, in fact there are more motorcyclists now than there has ever been. In 1981ish many dummies were spat out when seatbelt wearing became law, it didn't stop car driving.

My point is if you are not wearing a helmet, just because of some point of principle, because someone says you can't join our event unless you do, then don't join the event. The world will not tilt off its axis becuase of your principle, one way or the other.

snorri

Legendary Member
I understand, but I tend not to worry about things that have not happened, and may not happen. If helmet wearing becomes compulsory in law, nothing will happen other than more people will wear helmets, no big deal. It may vex a few people for a while, but it wont stop them riding with or without a helmet.
My point is if you are not wearing a helmet, just because of some point of principle, because someone says you can't join our event unless you do, then don't join the event. The world will not tilt off its axis becuase of your principle, one way or the other.
I think you are taking a rather simplistic view there. If helmet wearing becomes compulsory, fewer people will cycle. This is what has happened elsewhere, why do you think the UK could be different?
The emphasis on helmet wearing merely clouds the issue wasting time and effort that could be spent on measures which have been proven to be much more effective in improving the safety of cyclists.
I agree with not joining the event, but suggest it is better to tell the charity/organisers why you are not joining.
Regarding tilting the world off its axis, I have difficulty understanding those who can simply lie down and accept meekly what others would prescribe for them.

PK99

Legendary Member
I think you are taking a rather simplistic view there. If helmet wearing becomes compulsory, fewer people will cycle. This is what has happened elsewhere, why do you think the UK could be different?

In Australia, the numbers cycling reduced when helmets became compulsory. Does anyone have reputable statistics on the current cycling population in Australia? Has the number continued low or retuned to trend?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I have not seen the evidence so I don't know, but I find it hard to believe people would stop cycling because of having to wear a helmet.

The emphasis on helmet wearing merely clouds the issue wasting time and effort that could be spent on measures which have been proven to be much more effective in improving the safety of cyclists.

I don't think it clouds the issue, it's a different issue altogether.

I agree with not joining the event, but suggest it is better to tell the charity/organisers why you are not joining.

Fair enough.

Regarding tilting the world off its axis, I have difficulty understanding those who can simply lie down and accept meekly what others would prescribe for them.

I don't care enough about this particular prescription, it's not important in the grand scheme of things to me on whether helmet wearing becomes compulsory or not.

avalon

Guru
Some statistics suggest that 25% of car accident fatalities are due to head injuries, but no one from the pro compulsory bike helmet lobby show any concern about car drivers not wearing helmets.

PK99

Legendary Member
Some statistics suggest that 25% of car accident fatalities are due to head injuries, but no one from the pro compulsory bike helmet lobby show any concern about car drivers not wearing helmets.

Because the risk/hazard/probabilities are very different.

Over the past 40 years I have driven may 100's of thousands of miles and never had an accident remotely needing head protection. In fact only two minor bumps in that whole period. Over the last 15 years I've cycled 10's of thousands of miles and had several falls where my head has been at risk, with one resulting in smashed helmet and night under obs In hospital with concussion. The same goes for most people I know who cycle.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Which statistics are these then, what is your source?

Over the past 40 years I have driven may 100's of thousands of miles and never had an accident remotely needing head protection. In fact only two minor bumps in that whole period. Over the last 15 years I've cycled 10's of thousands of miles and had several falls where my head has been at risk, with one resulting in smashed helmet and night under obs In hospital with concussion. The same goes for most people I know who cycle.

This makes perfect sense to me. Off topic slightly, a little anecdote; I have never had a serious head related fall on my bike (yet), once whilst bending down locking my bike to post in France, I banged my head on a sign that was to low, a mighty crack it was too, dented the helmet, I was pleased I had it on that day I can tell you.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
No they're not.

For the twenty-umpteenth time, the risk of injury while cycling is minute. The risk of serious injury is minuter. The risk of death is about the same as in a car.

References higher up this thread, or in a neighbouring one.

Licramite

Über Member
Is Minuter the sister of minute ?

this is why I've got to fix a newt to my helmet and call him "risk" - so If asked I could say "thats the risks he's my newt" - of course I will have to fix two newt's now - his sister My newter. - oh maybe not.

I must admit I don't think the chance of dying in a car accident is minute at all. - dying in a parachuting accident -yes- but not in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom