Bike fit again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this can be a bit subjective but has anybody used this guy to do a bike fit in the Lincolnshire area

http://www.powerupbikefitting.co.uk

I have been riding for a few months now and can not get rid of numb fingers in both hands after 45 minutes to an hour on the bike, I have raised / lowered brought forward and aft the saddle on my Giant Fast road, I manage to get back the feeling in my meat and two veg but can not sort my fingers out ,

I transfered my measurements to the TCR I have just got and this mornings ride was the terrible for fingers being numb ,
I thought I may seek this chap help

Cheers
Chris

JhnBssll

Veteran
To be honest a lot of it is where you're bearing your weight; if you've only been riding a few months it could well be you haven't quite got the core strength needed yet and you're putting too much force through your wrists. Tweaking saddle position will only work to a certain point, only saddle time and maybe some planking will get you where you want to be :laugh:

I went through exactly the same thing, in fact I occasionally still get numbness in my hands for spells on longer rides, but its continually improving :okay:

Kajjal

Guru
Numb fingers normally means too much weight on the bars.

If you sit on the bike let your arms fall naturally while a little bent to see where you bar should be. It is not uncommonly for new riders to have the bars too low with too much reach causing the problem you have. A quick free thing to try is put spacers below the stem and flip the stem into the upright position as this reduces drop and reach. If no different put it back as it was.

U

User6179

If the geometry is right for you ( I found the TCR too low at the front for the correct size top tube I needed) then there is a few things you can do to add comfort

double tape the handlebars( Just the hoods for me)
switch to wider tyres with lower pressure( frame permitting)
Shorter raised stem or/and flip the handlebars up slightly

Drago

Legendary Member
It doesn't say what system he uses or what qualifications he has. Clearly some jolly quip about having held a LEJOG record is sufficient for people to trust him with their musculo skeletal health. Pretty important information is absent, so I'd personally avoid.

Spoons47

I know this is only coming from a newbie but it worked first time for me. I’ve been on you tube for hours and hours watching all whys and wherefore and indeed the many contradictions! But what worked for me on my hybrid was keeping straight wrists. I angled the handlebars up one notch but not only that I twisted the ergonomic grips round so the palm rests were pointing more upwards, which actually forces me to keep the wrists straight or only ever so slightly bent allowing the blood to flow. Along with relaxing the upper body while riding,solved all my numbness issues.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have known Russel for close on 30 years my son was part of the team and I drove one of the vans. Back to point, I know of people that have used him and been very pleased, he is one of those people who does things properly and thoroughly so I would trust him myself.

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
I have known Russel for close on 30 years my son was part of the team and I drove one of the vans. Back to point, I know of people that have used him and been very pleased, he is one of those people who does things properly and thoroughly so I would trust him myself.

Many thanks for the reply, have you had a fit done by Russel

adamhearn

Veteran
It's both fascinating and odd why lots find bike fits are necessary.

Swapping from a hybrid to a "competition" bike is going to be quite a change and I'd imagine the saddle to bar drop is quite different. Can you raise the stem height or is already at its maximum? What's your glove padding like? Have you (like suggested above) double wrapped any of your bars? Do you move your hands around and ride with relaxed hands?

Would be interested in what the fitter does to resolve (assuming it is) your problem.

Will Spin

Über Member
I find changing my position on the bars helps to stop me getting numb hands, i.e moving from drops to hoods fairly often.

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
Thanks for replies ,my bars are double wrapped already, stem hight is at the maximum, I have giant gell gloves that I wear and I move my hands all thd time,

I put the bike on the turbo trainer this afternoon and adjusted the saddle hight and forward and aft position using a plumb bomb for the KOPS position , moved my cleats back a little ,it felt a little better ,will see what happens on my ride in the morning before work, spoke to my LBS today about bike fits and he suggested I call the fitter on Friday morning for a chat,

Till tomorrow

Cheers
Chris

Top Bottom