Bike Fit - Do I Need a New Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrrodge

Regular
Morning,

Not exactly a cycling expert - I have a B'Twin Triban 500 SE (because it was cheap) that I kept at work and rode with the company cycling club on lunch times. My longest ride to date has been around 20 miles, climbs just under 1,000ft, averaging anything from 15-18mph depending on the route.

I've done just over 500 miles on the Triban and recently, as I'm fair weather only, treated myself to a KICKR Snap and am using Trainer Road to train on in the kitchen (I get no other exercise; desk job and all that). My FTP is 99 (ahem, I know how bad it is) giving around 1.2W/Kg. I'm 6ft 1.

Thing is, I've been making tiny adjustments to my bike for a long time and just can't seem to get it right. The first problem was the saddle height - I have it ridiculously high to stop the sides of my thigh hurting. I found that on most rides I got to a point where I couldn't do more than five or six revolutions without coasting, then doing another five or six, etc because of the thigh ache. Raising the saddle seemed to sort this.

Then I invested in some double sided pedals and shoes with SPD cleats (so I could walk up hills if necessary) and found the ache was back, so raised the saddle even more (about a further 3/4 inch), to the point where it doesn't go any higher. Thigh issues sorted, now a whole host of further problems:

Bar height & reach. My back, neck, wrists & arms were killing me to the point where it was intolerable, probably because the saddle was so high. To counter this I replaced the stem for a shorter, adjustable one and set it at about 55 degrees. It seemed to help slightly, but I find I can't ride whilst holding the hoods for any sort of period of time. Oddly, the most comfortable position seems to be on the drops, which I still can't remain comfortable on for much longer. Some of the drills on Trainer Road suggest that when the pros ride aero, some of them actually look like they're draped over the bars. I don't have the play in my arms to be able to do this; my arms are fully extended when I'm on the hoods. The back of my neck is still bad. I also have my saddle as far forward as it'll go.

I was making do with this riding position, as I felt it was the best I was going to get without chucking the bike in a skip and forking out for another. As part of my Trainer Road plan, last night gave me ten 30 second, seated sprints at varying degrees over my FTP with 90 second breaks in between. Not long into these, I noticed pain down the hamstrings (I think, behind my thighs), which I couldn't tolerate even on the 90 second recoveries. I got through the workout by leaving the saddle on the recoveries, which gave me some relief so I could sit back down for the sprints. I'm thinking this was caused by my saddle being too far back in relation to the crank, so I'm pedaling with my legs sort of in front of me. Does this sound right? If so, do I need a new bike?! I have no more adjustment; saddle is all the way forward, at full height and my bars can't go up/towards me any more.

Very frustrating! I don't know whether this is relevant but Decathlon seem to have changed the frames on the B'Twins for 2018, with the exception of my bike, which is now on sale. If you look at the size guides for them, the new ones recommend a smaller frame for my height. I'm thinking the frame simply doesn't fit me and I'm knackered!

Sorry for the long post, and thanks.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What size is the frame?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you do any stretching or foam rolling of your thighs, calves, glutes? Pain might be unrelated to Cycling if you are sedentary. Tight calves for example are a killer in the Western office worker type (I know, mine are ridiculously so). Get into a habit of stretching. Perhaps have a couple of sports massages too to get a professional take on the state of your muscles

If you really can't get comfortable on the bike, then yes maybe get a new one. Evans good for test rides, can take a couple out in the 'right' size and see how they feel. They have lots in all price ranges

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Do you do any stretching or foam rolling of your thighs, calves, glutes? Pain might be unrelated to Cycling if you are sedentary. Tight calves for example are a killer in the Western office worker type (I know, mine are ridiculously so)

Nope. Definitely thinking it's position related though as the backs of the thighs didn't hurt before raising the saddle to that extreme. I get that there's a period for getting used to certain aches and pains, such as saddle sore, wrists, back of neck but this seems different.

Also get shin splints, which is why I took up the bike rather than running - no impact! The ILT drills I did last night hurt those too, but I know what that is.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope. Definitely thinking it's position related though as the backs of the thighs didn't hurt before raising the saddle to that extreme. I get that there's a period for getting used to certain aches and pains, such as saddle sore, wrists, back of neck but this seems different.

Also get shin splints, which is why I took up the bike rather than running - no impact! The ILT drills I did last night hurt those too, but I know what that is.
Having the saddle too high makes your hips rock which could be causing the hamstrings (backs of thighs) to be tight...stretch and roll those too

What on earth is an ILT drill???

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like a plan - Barnsley!
Will cost you £100-200 for a fit. What size is the bike? At least check it's approximately the right size for you before shwlling out
If you do get a fit, considering it's pain you are experiencing, not performance gains being sought, I'd find a physio who does bike fits and not a chap in an LBS who's done a course for an afternoon to use whatever ever software (I'm cynical but having experienced the latter, I would now only ever consider the former)

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Having the saddle too high makes your hips rock which could be causing the hamstrings (backs of thighs) to be tight...stretch and roll those too

What on earth is an ILT drill???

'Individual Leg Training' apparently. Don't think I'm rocking, my legs are still inches from being fully extended.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Will cost you £100-200 for a fit. What size is the bike? At least check it's approximately the right size for you before shwlling out
If you do get a fit, considering it's pain you are experiencing, not performance gains being sought, I'd find a physio who does bike fits and not a chap in an LBS who's done a course for an afternoon to use whatever ever software (I'm cynical but having experienced the latter, I would now only ever consider the former)

Thanks. Wow, not cheap. Any recommendations? The bike is a 60cm. Amazing how much cycling costs, even when trying to do it cheap. My bike cost £300, yet I've spent about £100 on clothes, £100 on sensors, £450 on the KICKR, £60 on pedals & shoes, then there's tubes, saddle bags, bottle cages, repair kits, pumps, oh my word.

Top Bottom