Bike Fit - Do I Need a New Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Wow, not cheap. Any recommendations? The bike is a 60cm. Amazing how much cycling costs, even when trying to do it cheap. My bike cost £300, yet I've spent about £100 on clothes, £100 on sensors, £450 on the KICKR, £60 on pedals & shoes, then there's tubes, saddle bags, bottle cages, repair kits, pumps, oh my word.
Maybe you didn't need the sensors and the KICKR :smile:

My money is on the bike being ok size wise but you being inflexible and tight

How about seeing a clinic like these guys for a massage and check over and a good stretching programme

http://johncoxhealth.co.uk/
http://johncoxhealth.co.uk/our-services/

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Can you photo the bike as it's currently set-up? Even better if we can get an extra shot of you sat on it as well :-)

I'll take a pic of it in the garage tonight. Won't be sat on it till it's back on the trainer tomorrow night though.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Maybe you didn't need the sensors and the KICKR :smile:

My money is on the bike being ok size wise but you being inflexible and tight

How about seeing a clinic like these guys for a massage and check over and a good stretching programme

http://johncoxhealth.co.uk/
http://johncoxhealth.co.uk/our-services/

Will it really make a difference, even after over 500 miles on the bike? Bit of a sceptic with anything physio related; had physio for shin splints and after months of daft stretches doing nothing they stuck a load of needles in me and said they couldn't do any more... hence the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Will it really make a difference, even after over 500 miles on the bike? Bit of a sceptic with anything physio related; had physio for shin splints and after months of daft stretches doing nothing they stuck a load of needles in me and said they couldn't do any more... hence the bike.
Maybe. Have you had the pain for the full 500 miles - were those hilly, what were the weather conditions like (Static trainers don't really count towards mileage ;) ...how long have you spent on it)?

Not all physios are created equal :smile: Did you stop running to relieve the shin splints? Did you get a gait analysis, the right trainers?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m just about the same size as you and like a 60cm frame, the only change I made was to use a shorter more acute stem to move the bars up and back a bit. Suits me well but I’m not you. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

The change in the size recommdation in the new model is due to the more sloping top tube.

Will Spin

Über Member
I would invest in a proper bike fit. Money well spent, would avoid you wasting yet more money on an incorrectly fitting bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would invest in a proper bike fit. Money well spent, would avoid you wasting yet more money on an incorrectly fitting bike.
Most fitters do use your own bike for fitting so you need one that is at least in the right ballpark size wise. If the frame is completely wrong, then that really is a waste of money (other to find that out)

I had a similar dilemma - my best bike I didn't have a problem shelling out £130 for a bike fit - but my winter bike was a used £300 jobby - I wasn't having the problems you were, but I just didn't feel very efficient on the bike - in the end I just paid the £100 or so to the fitter.
I went to Adrian Timmis who I trust implicitly on these matters - he is near Burton on Trent in the midlands though.

Also be aware that turbo training you are totally locked in position, where as outside , you are shifting around. I don't use turbo's as I always end up with aches and pains.
I have found that as you get older you can't just cycle - I supplement my cycling with yoga and gym work which has helped massively, maybe not in performance terms but in staying injury free... (well almost !)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can you post photos or even better a video of you sideways whilst on the bike. IMO it is best to get the saddle position right first and then look at reach. I also agree that getting comfortable on a turbo trainer is harder than on the road. Much more than a hour on a turbo and I start getting pains, whilst 7 hours on the road with just a wee stop is not a problem on the road.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular
Maybe. Have you had the pain for the full 500 miles - were those hilly, what were the weather conditions like (Static trainers don't really count towards mileage ;) ...how long have you spent on it)?

Not all physios are created equal :smile: Did you stop running to relieve the shin splints? Did you get a gait analysis, the right trainers?

Spent 6 hours on the trainer. Hasn't been as intense so far as the real rides (Sweet spot base 1, for anyone familiar with Trainer Road), but I was experiencing the sides/tops of the thighs aching before the trainer, and when I first went on the trainer. Raising the saddle got rid of it, but made the reach worse and seems to have caused the trouble with the backs of the thighs as it's not something I've experienced before. My thoughts are that the saddle going back as a result of the post going up is causing it, as it feels like the crank is below and in front of me. I feel stretched on the reach too and as I said before the saddle is as far forward as it'll go.

The shin splints go back years; in my early twenties I broke every rule in the book when I took up running - inappropriate footwear, no warm ups, tarmac, up hills. Then tried to run through it thinking it was just something I needed to get used to. When physical bruising appeared up the shins I stopped. Never really went away (always felt running up stairs etc) so before buying the bike last year went to the GP and was sent to physio and podiatry. Had my walk & jog looked at, acupuncture & physio. Turned out I had a bit of a funny walk that I didn't know about. They thought it may have been neurological, but it was barely noticeable so didn't take it any further. To try and straighten it out they gave me some custom made insoles, which hurt like hell and wrecked my shoes. Stuck with them, got used to them, got discharged, wore them out and realised they did naff all anyway, so never went back.

As I was going through the appointments I mentioned I needed exercise and so took up cycling on the basis that there was no/low impact. Physio thought it a good idea but recommended I didn't clip in/pull so as not to aggravate the shin splints. Cycled for a while and broke the rules/clipped in, because I kept slipping off the pedals. Funnily enough, my walked straightened out (I'm sure the cleats had something to do with it) and I had nil issues with the shins.

Not sure if relevant but I also have varicose veins in both legs (far worse in the left than the right), with which I regularly get some pretty nasty aching (particularly if driving a long way for work). Local NHS trust wanted to perform stripping operation, which I refused until they start offering laser treatment due to it being ineffective/from the stone age and not being able to afford six weeks off work. Fear of that getting worse is what's driving me to exercise. When they play up, the left one hurts behind the thigh, just above the knee. It's not the same as last night though.

OP
OP
M

mrrodge

Regular

Sorry just reading back I'm not sure I was clear enough. Short answer = Tops/sides of thighs and unable to do many revolutions, first hundred or so miles until I realised raising the saddle would sort. Then after getting pedals and shoes it started again, so raised a bit more, went away again. About 40 miles later, last night's behind thigh trouble on sitting sprints. It was the first time I've done anything beyond my FTP since raising the saddle for the second time, but certainly didn't feel like a fatigue thing. As I said before, I had to leave the saddle on the recoveries and lean over the bars to relieve it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sitting up and further behind the bottom bracket does seem to work the hamstrings more than the thighs. I tend to ride that way as I’m long of back and short of leg and that keeps me better balances in the bike.

When sat on the bike with hands on the hoods, can you let go of the hoods without falling forward?

With hands in hoods, what angle are your arms?

When you pedal do your hips rock or is your bum firmly planted on the saddle?

Do you find yourself using your legs to keep you in position on the saddle?

When you pedal, are your feet flattish at the bottow of the stroke or do you pedal with your toes pointing down?

Top Bottom