Bike Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
5 years down the line and I still don’t have any issues from my first bike fit
If you have not got a problem in the first place then you don't need one, if you have not got a clue about how you should be on a bike it might be worth the investment, If buying a new bike, if the shop is half decent they will fit the bike to you. It's good you have no problems with your fit, you may have found someone who knows what they are doing, But as you get better fitter or older your position will change.

400bhp

Guru
If you have not got a problem in the first place then you don't need one, if you have not got a clue about how you should be on a bike it might be worth the investment, If buying a new bike, if the shop is half decent they will fit the bike to you. It's good you have no problems with your fit, you may have found someone who knows what they are doing, But as you get better fitter or older your position will change.

I had problems. The bike fit sorted it. Your position does not materially change with age. You skeleton is the driver. You may decide what cycling you focus on and that may change the positional requirements as you age.

Last edited:
I'm digging up this thread rather than starting a new one, because I want to share my experience and opinion on professional bike fitting services.

I had a bike fit a couple of months ago and I spent £275.
Was it useful? Yes
Was it worth it? No
Would I get another one? No, never again.

Since I was looking for a new bike, the service was split in 2 parts:

Part 1 - I went to the bike fitter and using a Retul machine I got some very good recommendations based on my body and my cycling objectives (short fast races VS endurance events). This is what I got out of it:
  • 4-5 bike models and frame sizes that would fit me nicely
  • best stem and crank length for my body
  • shoes recommendations for my wide feet
So I went away and bought one of the bikes they recommended, switched stem and cranks, and bought the shoes. Everything was great, the bike was great, the shoes were fantastic and so so comfy. Stem and cranks...I can't say as I never rode the bike with the original parts so I have nothing to compare it against. Anyways, I was very satisfied. Went on many rides without any issues, only maybe a minor soreness in my lower back after 40km but just at the beginning and I think it was due to the more aggressive geometry of the new bike.

Then came part 2....

Part 2 - I went back to the bike fitter, this time with my bike, mounted on a turbo trainer. They attached all those wee sensors on me and analyzed my riding, making tweaks on the go (saddle tilt and position, cleats position, handlebars and shifters position...all this stuff). They recommended to fit some insoles, which I did. It all felt good at the beginning while I was there although:
  • the new bar tape they installed was so bad and so badly wrapped I had to change it again myself
  • now after 30 minutes on the bike my left foot hurts like crazy and the big toe of the right foot gets almost completely numb
  • also my private parts get numb after 30 minutes on the saddle, especially when I'm on the turbo trainer. Less of an issue outdoors.
So, part 2 of my bike fit left me with a lot more problems than before. All this for just £275.

As I said, never again.

vickster

Legendary Member
have you told them and been back? Should be part of the service. £275 is a lot for a fit! Often on high end bikes, it’s part of the price match.
However, as you say turbo is probably part of the issue, you need to move around more, get out of the saddle etc. You may need a different saddle of course.
are your feet getting hot and swelling esp indoors if warm. You might need to loosen your shoes, wear thinner socos etc

Lookrider

I got a GURU fit then had the bike and components built around that
It's a hard call to say if you feel ok after a ride then don't get a bike fit
As you will be hard pressed to not know that a fit would make things more comfortable for you
And if your bike does not fit just so slightly then you dont know if your aggrevaiting any joints ....nit enough to feel issues but they may develop in years to come

Drago

Legendary Member
Free, Retul, in my case not worth thr £00.00 I paid for it. Over time caused me problems down my injured side (reduced flexibility and tange of motion, bonus titanium) so I went back to my own hard won measurements and the relief was immediate.

The thing is may of these systems differ in detail, and some even contradict one another in their claimed interpretation of the application of biomechanics to cycling.

They can't all be different and all be right at the same time, so which do you use? Indeed, a surprising number of top flight pro's have their regular fit and then revert to their favoured settings the moment no one is looking.

Nothing, but nothing, is more important than comfort. If you don't have that then your never be in a position to worry about performance. Get your comfort sorted, and the experiment a little for there.

Last edited:
have you told them and been back?
No, I just recently started to use the turbo training which is where the issues are starting to arise. I'll give it another say 2 weeks and see if/how my body adjust.

£275 is a lot for a fit!
Unfortunately prices where I live are all high. There aren't many companies that do bike fitting services at an advanced/professional level and this one was £275 for around 4-5 hours in 2 sessions which seems fair and comparable to what else is available in the area.

Often on high end bikes, it’s part of the price match.
Didn't buy the bike from them.

However, as you say turbo is probably part of the issue, you need to move around more, get out of the saddle etc. You may need a different saddle of course.
I'm swapping the saddle with the one I've been using with no issues on my gravel bike. I bought it after getting my sit bones measured and it's been a dream.

are your feet getting hot and swelling esp indoors if warm. You might need to loosen your shoes, wear thinner socos etc
Not really. Actually, if there is a part of my body that doesn't get hot and doesn't sweat it's probably my feet :laugh:

Has anyone had two bike fits on the same bike , by two different fitters, and if so did they adjust the bikes the same? I doubt itas a lot of fitters have different ideas as to what works,

I agree, 2 bike fitters would fit the bike in 2 different ways.

Lol, just imagine: you have your bike fitted by bike fitter A, then you go to bike fitter B and they say "yep, had a look, everything is already fitted just the way I would. No need for me to change anything. £100 please and thank you" :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure why you’d pay to get refitted on the same bike unless there was an issue? When I’ve had bike fits (1 Retul at a bike shop and two by physios following return to cycling after ortho surgery) they’ve all said to get back in touch if needed

proletaratOne

For me totally useless

I got one as a gift

thing is I’m about the most average person to walk the earth

average height with very average proportions
A bit more muscular and a very thick neck

but other than that very average

so usually the initial guildline setting are spot on

this was no different

maybe good for someone else

T4tomo

Legendary Member
hey attached all those wee sensors on me and analyzed my riding, making tweaks on the go (saddle tilt and position, cleats position, handlebars and shifters position...all this stuff). They recommended to fit some insoles, which I did. It all felt good at the beginning while I was there although:
  • the new bar tape they installed was so bad and so badly wrapped I had to change it again myself
  • now after 30 minutes on the bike my left foot hurts like crazy and the big toe of the right foot gets almost completely numb
  • also my private parts get numb after 30 minutes on the saddle, especially when I'm on the turbo trainer. Less of an issue outdoors.
clearly they have screwed up the cleat position and saddle tilt etc, you should defo go bac until its sorted - that is included in your £275

My own experience:
I had a "free" fit when I bought my Bianchi. Position has been good, I've tweaked the odd thing over time, and changed the stock saddle that came with the bike.

My OH was getting knee pain and saddle issues. the bit fit was excellent for her, sorting cleat position and inserting a cleat shim - knee paid is now sorted, and also sorted an overreach issue and gave some good advice on finding the "right" saddle, which we subsequently have done. she's delighted with the c£150 spent, which interluded a quick return visit for a tweak on reach.

I would recommend one if you have some pain or discomfort you can't get sorted. A lot of it is buying the right sized bike to start with and getting it initially set up correctly, whoch there is lots of advice out there to do such, and then tweaking a little as you ride.

Stuff like getting cleats set up well if you have a dodgy knee or similar is very hard to do yourself without some proper help from someone who knows what they are doing.

clearly they have screwed up the cleat position and saddle tilt etc, you should defo go bac until its sorted - that is included in your £275

My own experience:
I had a "free" fit when I bought my Bianchi. Position has been good, I've tweaked the odd thing over time, and changed the stock saddle that came with the bike.

My OH was getting knee pain and saddle issues. the bit fit was excellent for her, sorting cleat position and inserting a cleat shim - knee paid is now sorted, and also sorted an overreach issue and gave some good advice on finding the "right" saddle, which we subsequently have done. she's delighted with the c£150 spent, which interluded a quick return visit for a tweak on reach.

I would recommend one if you have some pain or discomfort you can't get sorted. A lot of it is buying the right sized bike to start with and getting it initially set up correctly, whoch there is lots of advice out there to do such, and then tweaking a little as you ride.

Stuff like getting cleats set up well if you have a dodgy knee or similar is very hard to do yourself without some proper help from someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers, the saddle I've tilted it down a little myself and it seems to be better now. I've only done 1hr on the turbo with the new tilt so still early days but after 1 hour no numb ballz.

About the cleats position, it's a bit of a weird one and I still have no idea. When I bought the shoes and cleats I installed the cleats as centred as possible. No insoles, no pain.

Having said that, when I went for the bike fit, the guy put all those wee sensors on my knees, ankles, hips, arms...everywhere and from the tracking you could clearly see my right knee caving in and also the path of my left leg wasn't great. So the fitter moved the cleats about and also installed a pair of insoles. Tracked my riding again and everything felt great and looked optimal: both legs had a nice straight path and no knee caving in whatsoever.

So I thought everything was sorted and now these issues are starting to come up. No idea, mate.

I think the main limitation of bike fitting is that they fix your position for those 20-30 minutes, but they have no idea how your body adapts and what your body does when you are fatigued after 1.5 hours.

Top Bottom