Bike Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

groundy74

I have been riding my Giant advanced Defy road bike for a nearly a year now and have done ok, slowly building speed and fitness until the August holiday when the hard work fell apart and only just starting to get back close to where I was.

Anyway I have been reading a lot lately about a bike fit recently and wondered if anyone has had one, how much did it cost and was it worth it? Also can anyone recommend one in the North West.

I have ridden about 1300 miles this year without commuting (which isn't possible due to job and kids) and plan on riding at least 2000 miles next year including doing the Ride London 100 for the first time.

New to the forum but seen plenty of helpful people here so thanks in advance

I have been riding my Giant advanced Defy road bike for a nearly a year now and have done ok, slowly building speed and fitness until the August holiday when the hard work fell apart and only just starting to get back close to where I was.

Anyway I have been reading a lot lately about a bike fit recently and wondered if anyone has had one, how much did it cost and was it worth it? Also can anyone recommend one in the North West.

I have ridden about 1300 miles this year without commuting (which isn't possible due to job and kids) and plan on riding at least 2000 miles next year including doing the Ride London 100 for the first time.

New to the forum but seen plenty of helpful people here so thanks in advance

Giant do what they call a “power fit” it’s well worth the outlay, especially if you have a Giant bike. A general bike fit, that is available in some places, is called a “Retul” fit. It uses a computer system, linked to motion capture cameras, and some little reference markers attached to your body at various points, to get you in the most bio mechanically efficient position, for you, in relation to your bike. If you are thinking of taking your riding seriously, it would be a worthwhile exercise. But do bear in mind, that as you replace components ( anything from cleats / shoes ) right up to important components on the bike, your initial fit’s configuration may need re-checking. You may want / need to repeat the exercise periodically anyway, to ensure you are finding your optimum set up, as your riding improves. It can get addictive/ expensive:laugh:

I have paid Adrian Timmis to fit both my bikes - not cheap but very good.
However unless you're experiencing issues I would do it yourself. I have some pretty serious hip/hamstring issues which meant I needed to get my fit pretty precise. - But I wouldn't throw £150-200 at it unless there was a problem to solve .

I have paid Adrian Timmis to fit both my bikes - not cheap but very good.
However unless you're experiencing issues I would do it yourself. I have some pretty serious hip/hamstring issues which meant I needed to get my fit pretty precise. - But I wouldn't throw £150-200 at it unless there was a problem to solve .
Very true.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have any injuries. If so find a fitter who's a trained physio rather than someone who's done a Retul course

If you don't have issues with your fit currently, you could either maybe tweak saddle height or whatever yourself or just leave well alone. Cost probably somewhere between £75 and £250 depending who and where, extent of the service, whether footbeds are included for shoes etc

You'll only get fitter and quicker in the end by riding your bike more and harder (assuming your weight is optimal, shedding excess will also help)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Before my back surgery I used http://bikedynamics.co.uk/ to help me. Indeed he really helped and made changes that to me were not immediately logical until they were explained. Post surgery (a few years ago), I have slowly gone back to my old position, in fact even a little bit more head down, arse up.

It was well worth the money to alleviate my pain and continue riding. I don't compete anymore so for me it was not about extracting maximum performance.

Seen as though I'm not riding with the pro's, I kept my hard earned greens in the bank. I just followed guidance online about how to set up a comfortable riding position and hey presto, my feet can touch the floor when I stop at traffic lights and my back doesn't ache on extended rides.

OP
OP
G

groundy74

Seen as though I'm not riding with the pro's, I kept my hard earned greens in the bank. I just followed guidance online about how to set up a comfortable riding position and hey presto, my feet can touch the floor when I stop at traffic lights and my back doesn't ache on extended rides.

Makes sense as I said don't really have any issues and have rode 2 * 65 mile rides without any worries, just read a few positives about bike fits but want sure so I thought I'd ask the question. Need to find something else for the Mrs to pay for as Xmas present now!

400bhp

Guru
Everyone i know who has had a bike fit have had issues a bit further down the line. The only way is if someone who knows what they are doing, rides a few hundred miles with you,and watches how you ride. keep your money in your pocket, You tube is a good place to start.:okay:
5 years down the line and I still don’t have any issues from my first bike fit

Top Bottom